From first Mate to Captain

Y/N p.o.v

It had been years since you had seen that golden tail, every dream had been the same ever since that moment of a memory. Some days you had cursed those visions of the tail, if you had just carried on your way on shore, you might have just a normal fixation. However that will never be the case.

   Though today it was best to not be thinking of the tail, for it was the day you'll be the new captain after the last one had become much too old to handle the harshness of the seas. You stood in front of your soon-to-be crew, staring at them all while wearing the captain's hat and clothing. 
   They all stared at you with their piercing eyes before you had spoken up to break the sickening silence. "Ahoy!, today marks a new story, I'm going to be your new captain for now 'til it's my time to pass down the ship!" You called out to the group of people. It had felt as though you were talking to the sea in hope for a calling back. All were staring without a word before one stepped up and spoke "What's the plan captain?" 
   You were relieved to hear the sound of another's voice. 

   Soon you and your crew had taken their path to the sea, inside of the captains quarters, you stared in your notebook, wondering why or how it was possible to see a tail so large but yet never see it once more in the years of returning to the same spot at the same time. It began to make you feel as though you were going insane. But you couldn't be, right? Those thoughts were interrupted by one of your crewmates rushing in, looking at you with excitement in their eyes. "Captain! We're close to the island, we'll soon be there in a few hours' ' You chuckled from their happiness filling his words. "I'll set my stop watch for that then, tell the others we'll soon have that booty!" You say, taking your sword out to intensify your words before speaking once more "tonight, we toast once we get the buried treasure!" You watched as they rushed out, leaving you alone once more. You looked at the drawing of the tail, closing it while taking your stopwatch, setting it to stop in just a few hours, it was a bit irritating from having to turn the nob around the 60 more than once, it being small enough to be only grabbable by your pointer and thumb. 

After what seemed to be days inside of your quarters, the stopwatch had finally ticked its last tock. You stood up, leaving and going to the dock, looking around before spotting the island you had heard from the tavern. "Blimey..." you muttered under your breath before shouting to the crew "Avast crew! Heave the sails! We're close to the island, set the anchor down!" You called, watching as they rushed around to bring the open sails to a close while others slowly brought the anchor down to the sea ground. You watched as the island moved closer and closer to your ship, until finally, it had stopped the ships movement, a board was brought down for the crew and yourself to land on the shore.

   You had waited for this day, the first months of being on the waters and you'll be coming back with a booty of gold coins and jewels. You searched before stopping at a spot, feeling the sand and began digging with your hands, excitement filling your head to no longer care how you look. It had taken for a few to mutter for you to snap out of it, but they weren't speaking about you..but instead they were speaking of the area itself, referring to a beast inside of the waters that had been spotted by more than one sailor. In assumption you took it as fairy tales, feeling the wood of a chest, picking it up as you looked at your crew. "We found it! The treasure! It's ours!" You looked at them all, though you could tell they wanted to leave before celebrating. 
   You and your crew went inside of the ship before pulling the bridge back up, you couldn't help but ask why they seemed so worried on the island. All looked down in slight embarrassment before the one who had spoken up first went towards you, pointing at the island "aye...this is where the mermaid lives.." he states, fear filling their eyes.
   You couldn't believe, you Can't believe it. Is this your chance to meet the golden tail in your dreams? The train of thoughts had to be shaken out before you could speak "Then we'll capture that beast! It'll sell for plenty and we'll be known as the first pirates to find a livin' mermaid!" You hoisted your sword up into the air, hoping the crew would agree.

   It felt like an eternity before they began to cheer, rushing up the stairs to prepare the nets, sails, and hoist the anchor up. Maybe this will be your chance..but you can't be certain, not yet at least.

[868 Words!]