Is this it?

Y/N p.o.v

   It had taken a moment for you to realize what they were thinking, quickly letting go and backing up with your hands up. Sun moved back from you, looking at you as if you were crazy "WHAT was that for??" They exclaimed, staring at you with mixed emotions, seeming to be angry, confused, and embarrassed.
   "I was trying to see if you have eyelids! You haven't blinked this entire time" you tried to explain, hoping that it didn't sound odd to them, though even to yourself it was weird to say. Sun tilted his head, blinking "ohh...Oh! You could have just asked, we do!" They explain before quickly smashing their body into the water, poking it back out. Without any questioning, you assumed that they needed to wet their gills... wherever those may be. Temptation continued to push into your mind, wanting to see every bit of the mermaid so you could write it down in your notebook.. you realized you never checked what you had, just that you were on an island, befriending a mermaid as though it's the sane thing to do. Checking your pockets, you had your notebook on hand, along with the pencil you use to sketch and write inside, sadly that was all you had. With a closer inspection, the notebook was slightly damaged from the water. The mermaid spoke back up "but back to the other conversation!, why do you call those le..leegss..? And, why are they called boots?" It was having a bit of a struggle saying some words, it being understandable due to them probably never saying them before in its life.. wait, how long do mermaids even live? Are they like humans or actual fish..
   You couldn't help but ask them, given that a live one is right in front of your very own eyes " how long do ye live for..?" You waited for a response, though while watching you noticed it was counting its fingers... it took nearly 10 minutes before a response appeared from them, "300 years! Then poof, we get turned into sea foam!" He sounded a bit too optimistic about how their life is. You sat down in the water and began writing and changing the drawing a tad to be more realistic with its features. It slowly moved towards you, looking at the paper while gasping "thats me! It looks identical, like a mirror!" Was he..complimenting your art? What is happening? This isn't at all how people explained how mermaids act, though it has a pattern of a clownfish instead of the classic green tail people talk about.
   "Why are ye...so nice? And not trying to bring me down to Davy Jones's Locker?" You had to ask, maybe they all have different forms of luring people to their death? Sun stared at you before giggling, "I don't eat people! In part clownfish! So we really only eat shrimp, algae, and plankton!" They explained, wait, there's more than one kind of mermaid? It made more sense than only one kind.. "so..what kind of mermaids eat people..?" You asked, putting your notebook away in a pocket. They needed a moment to think before getting a defined answer "the merfolk that are sharks, angler fish, and some others! But where we are it's just those two" you gulped at hearing how there's still a chance.

   You looked up at the sky, noticing just how dark it was becoming. The sunset was slowly coming down from the sky just for it to be replaced by the moon. "The nights slowly comin'..'' you looked back where Sun had been, but there wasn't a trace of him anymore. As you looked around, there wasn't even a glimpse of his orange tail anywhere. Sighing, you assumed he went back home to sleep, you stood up and prepared yourself for a few hours of staying awake in hope you'll see a ship coming to this island.

   A few steps into a separate part of the island, you heard a sound, it seemed to have been another person. With a rush of adrenaline and hope, you ran as fast as you possibly could towards it, no longer thinking of what your actions could bring. The closer and closer the voice sounded, it seemed to have been singing...until it stopped abruptly. 'No..no no no I can't be stuck on this island! Come back!' You screamed in your head, rushing to the edge of the beach, you looked at the sea, looking around quickly before seeing a small light in the distance. You gulped at the realization of how far you'll need to chase after that hope of coming home, it may have been barely a day, but you've lost some sanity already after believing you can befriend a mermaid. You took the notebook and writing utensil out, setting them on the beach in case the light was too far away to continue following.

   Without a second thought, you made a rush for the light, running until you could no longer feel the sand under the boots you had worn. You swam quickly, the light seeming to get closer towards you...was it moving to you? Could the ship see that someone was in the water? You thrust your hand into the air "Aye! Someone's in the water! He-" you froze. Bringing your hand back beside you with the realization that it was not a ship, but a bulb of sorts. Remembering the conversation you had with Sun, he had said there were angler fish merfolk, the same ones that will eat people..
   You panicked, trying to swim back to shore before you heard the same tune that caused you to go to the beach that seemed to still be in hand reach. You lost yourself in the trance, turning around as a large creature was in front of you.

   It was dark blue, it didnt have any bulb, but instead was carrying a lantern to mimic the look of one, attached to its head, its body looked smooth with scars, they strangely had a hat on top of its head, somehow staying in place even when being wet. And their eyes...it felt as though it was staring right through you...they were a bright red, as though it was hungry for something.. you moved your hand onto their torso, feeling it softly, in hope that maybe it could stop the trance the beast had you under, but it only made it worse, they now had complete control over you, your movements were no longer yours.

   You were done for, you knew you were the moment it had grabbed you by the collar and went inside of the cold seas with you...

[1126 words]