Chapter 3 (TW: Panic Attack)

"I'm pregnant"

Orel gagged on his sparkling water. Knees weak, palms sweaty. Christina was WHAT?

The year was 2002, and it had been a while since the duo had tied the knot. Their wall covered in pictures of the couple, both silly and serious. In the middle was a wedding photo, which was notably very small. No sight of Orel or Christina's family.

Today was their anniversary, and Orel decided to pull out all the stops. Steak, potatoes, and of course sparkling water WITH a lemon. (No alcohol, since Orel knew he had a family history of alcoholism) All for his special lady, as she was everything he could ever ask for. But he didn't expect her to come out with this surprise.

"You're serious? Lying is a sin, you know." Orel smiled a little, just joking with her. Christina pulled four pregnancy tests out of her pocket and laid them on the table. Orel reached out his hand and took the sight in. Every single one had two lines.

Orel wanted to jump from his seat and pepper her face and stomach in kisses, professing his love for her and their newly growing family.. but something stopped him. Instead of this, he placed them on the table and got up. His heart started to beat fast, breathing getting quick as his eyes felt like they were gonna pop out of his head. Christina said something to him, but he could only hear one thing.

His father's voice.

Orel didn't want to be like him. This was supposed to be the happiest moment of his life, why couldn't he just be happy? Fear quickly turned to shame and guilt. Hot tears built behind his eyes, when all the sudden.

"Orel?"
The voice of an angel reached out, holding Orel's hand. The soft feeling of theirs in his made him calm down, and suddenly everything was back to normal. He turned around to look for them, and he smiled.

Christina smiled back, and they embraced. The couple cried, for they both knew what the anxieties were.

It's nice to have someone who listened.

.............

As Orel sat at his work desk, holding the family picture in his hand. Christian and Mary were both arguing beforehand, but no matter how bad it would get they always made up. God, he was so proud of his family.

Suddenly, his phone rang. He wasn't sure who could be calling him so early in the day, but he picked up anyway. "Orel Puppington speaking."

"Finally got a hold of you!" A voice laughed behind the phone.

That voice.. why was it so familiar? And then it hit him. He remembered that whiney voice that was always beside him.