Chapter 15

When was the last time you thought of Moralton?

That's a question Christina asked herself a lot. Gosh, it felt like forever since they had been back. Christina barely kept up with her side of the family, being that they flip flop between disowned her for marrying a protestant and then begging to see their grandchildren. Toxic? Yes. Does she get free dinners from it? Absolutely. But Christina was far from able to judge Orel for wanting to visit his dying father.

"Your family is.. squeaky." Stephanie teasd as Orel showed her pictures of past trips and family game nights. Christina laughed, nodding at the comment. Sure, they were pretty cheesy, but it was a safety that they had wanted to make for their kids for.. forever. "Wow, married to a woman.. I honestly had no clue. You always seemed so.. oh I see it now." Orel commented, causing Stephanie to just laugh. "Don't think too hard!" She chuckled gently. "What did the Reverend think of her? I know you two were awfully close back then."

Stephanie pushed back some of her stray hairs, grabbing her phone and showing a picture of their little family. Stephanie's partner was a gorgeous woman, with graying hairs tied and braided into individual strands, giant circular glasses, and a smile that made you feel..

"Warm. That's how she is." Stephanie smiled gently, her heart glowing bright and proud. "You have a beautiful family." Orel looked up from her phone, genuinely happy that Stephanie had found someone. It wasn't a man, but people don't have to follow traditional rules to start a family. "When Rev found out I was seeing a woman, he was pretty angry. All he did was shake his head at me." Christina frowned "Because he thought it was sinful?" She asked. Stephanie shook her head "Surprisingly, no. Because I didn't talk to him. I had been sneaking around with her for a while, but when he finally caught us he was just upset to be left out the loop.. actually, his exact words were "REALLY GOD? SHE GETS A WOMAN AND I DON'T?!" " Stephanie laughed at the ridiculousness of the matter.

"Wow. Reverend Putty sure has gotten with the times hasn't he!" Orel nodded, he could practically see it now. His excitement to see Moralton now showing clearly. "Something like that." She shrugged, getting up from the chair. "Well, I gotta go. Let's hit that road before anyone else does." She smiles, waving goodbye to the duo. Christian and Mary ran back in, excited to be back inside as it had started raining. "You two are freezing, come on. Let's get you warmed up.." Christina rushed her children into a corner where all the stuff was piled up in bags.

Orel laid down in thought, thinking about everyone he had left behind. His school friends, the adults in his life, especially the ones giving him bad advice. Can people change after so long? He did, after all. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad