Chupacabra

Italics: Flashback
The traffic on the highway is at a complete stop and everyone's stopped. My dad and Glenn got out of the car a while ago and I'm watching the two kids I met the other day sit and play. Their names are Sophia and Carl, Sophia is a little older than me and Carl. Carl went to the same school as me but he was in a different class. I remember him because his dad was a cop which made him popular. My dad comes back and opens the car door.

"How about you go ahead and play for a little while? Me and Glenn have some stuff to figure out here." My dad says before helping me out of the car. I walk over to the trunk of Carol's car and I climb up with Carl and Sophia's help.

"Hi guys!" I say after sitting down correctly. They smile and laugh at me. I look down at my shirt and pants and see nothing.

"What is it?" I ask them. Sophia looks at Carl with a smile and Carl doesn't smile back. Sophia brings her hand to my face and wipes my nose. She shows me her hand and shows the dirt that came off of my face. I laugh.

We can hear the radio being messed with in several different cars. Suddenly a helicopter flys over us and we watch it. Sophia looks at her mom while me and Carl pay attention to the helicopter.

"Are we gonna go soon?" Sophia asks them. I look at her dad as he blows smoke out of his mouth, I turn to Carol and she gives us a small smile.

"I don't know baby. I sure hope so." Carol tells her. Carl nods his head and turns to his mom. I turn to look for my dad. He's talking to the lady I bumped into the first night on the highway. I think her name is Jacqui? Glenn's sitting on the hood of a car with a brunette haired girl and he's talking with her.

"I'm hungry." I hear Carl tell his mom, I turn and nod my head. Lori, Carl's mom, is playing with her necklace. She nods her head and sighs.

"I know Carl. We all are." Lori says. Carol looks at us and then back at Lori, she reaches around the car to look at my dad. She gets off of the car.

"Why don't I get them something to eat? Ed's into all this survival stuff. We've got enough M.R.E.s to feed a small army." Carol says walking quickly to the other side of the car. Lori gets up.

"I'd sure appreiciate it." She says coming over to the back of the car and standing next to Carl. I watch as Carol goes to the other side of the car.

"No trouble." She shouts before running into Ed. I turn to look at Sophia and she has a little fortune teller on her fingers. I smile and she starts to move the paper around. Lori turns around and walks away to her car and starts to talk to Shane.

Carol comes back with her giant purse and pulls out some snacks. She places them out on the trunk and pulls out granola bars, fruit snacks, and a bunch of other stuff. Me and Carl grab the fruit snacks and the granola bars which left Sophia with the graham crackers and orange. Lori and Shane come walking back over. Carol turns around.

"Ed must've forgotten to pack those M.R.E.s I found these in my purse." Carol tells Lori holding out a few granola bars to her. Lori shakes her head and waves her hand.

"It's alright. Listen, do you mind keeping an eye on Carl for a minute?" Lori asks Carol, she shakes her head and looks at Carl.

"Listen, Shane and I are gonna go scout up ahead a little bit and see if we can find someone that knows what's going on." Lori says brushing her fingers through his hair. Carl shakes his head.

"I wanna go with you." He tells her. I decide it's best to stop staring and instead focus on how many bad flavors of the fruit snack I got. I still listen in on the conversation though.