Seed

Italics: On the Road

The nights get colder and colder, and the sun starts setting earlier and earlier. Me and Carl get closer while Lori's belly starts to grow. Me and Carl become better shots and we can hit moving walkers now. We start to find more clothes on the road. After a while of moving it starts getting warmer, I lose my sweater and keep on my long sleeve. People start to grow beards and their hair starts to grow out, me included. Hershel now had a beard and Carl's hair reaches his neck now. We walk on the road for what feels like years, it's only been a few months. Me and Carl have gotten to go on missions to scavange now. We've become okay at it and we actually start to find useful things, sometimes.

We walk up the road and see a house, my dad whistles. Me and Carl run up behind mydad, Rick, and Daryl. As we walk to the house. I take out my gun and Rick walks up the front steps quietly. We all point our guns at the floor, Rick counts down befire rushing to the door. He kicks up his foot and walks in with his gun drawn. We all do the same, there's two walkers but Rick and my dad get those. 

Me and Carl watch Rick walk into a room, we stand on the wall behind another room, we wait and then we rush into the kitchen with our guns drawn, we hold them up for a few seconds before searching around the kitchen. We open up cabinets and dig through them. We find nothing. Shocker!

We walk out of the kitchen to another room, Carl rushes in the room and points his gun. A walker is inside, I watch as Carl lets it turn around, it's a skinny walker and Carl shoots it. Its blood splatters all over the curtain behind it. Gross. Me and Carl walk out of the room and go back to the kitchen, Rick is in there now. 

The door opens and we back up, Glenn and Maggie walk in. Daryl comes down with a pile of feathers in one hand a bird in the other, Rick whistles. Me and Carl walk out to go help the group carry their things inside. We come back inside and re-check all of the cans on the counter.

Empty, empty, empty. Who even leaves empty cans?! If we don't find some food I'm gonna eat someone's jacket. Carl crouches down and opens a cabinet, he finds two cans of dog food. Thank God. I pick up one and Carl grabs the other, we walk out to the group with the cans of dog food. Carl pulls out the can opener and starts to open one. Rick looks over.

He grabs the cans of dog food from us and looks at them, he turns and throws them in the fire pit. I look at Carl and then turn to Rick, I look down. I don't see you finding premium cans of dog food, I would've eaten it. Rick stands around looking at everyone, he's out of breath.

"Psst." My da says, we look out the window and see walkers. We all get up and grab our things, we run out of the house and to the cars. We run inside of them and get on the road. It's the same thing over and over. Find a house, look for food, find empty cans, sit, leave. It's all the same. The cars stop in the middle of the road, me and Carl get out of the car and walk over to Rick. Well I walk, Carl runs.

"15, y'all on point." Rick says walking away to the car. Me and Carl stand in front of everyone, we watch the road and the trees. I stand and watch the crows hop along the road.

"We got no place left to go." I can hear my dad say, they all start to crowd around the car. I stare at Carl and he looks back at me, I pocket my gun and sigh.

"I totally would've eaten that dog food. I'm starving." I tell Carl, he looks at me and laughs, he nods his head and I smile. I hold my stomach and watch as everyone goes to the car and grabs their bottles and jugs. Hershel and Rick talk to each other.

Rick and Daryl go hunting, me and Carl wait in front of the car and I yawn. Carl looks at me, he hands me his bottle of water, there's only a little left.