Say the Word

The silence breaks when the baby starts to cry louder. Me and Carl let go of our hug, Daryl turns around and looks at us. We look over at Rick, he looks like he's lost his mind. Daryl walks over to him and bends down waving his hand in his face.

I look around for Carol, she's not here. I walk around a little bit to see if I can see her at all, I don't. I look at Daryl and he's already looking at me. He nods his head and I place my head down. That's 3 people, in one day. How? Why? I feel the tears run down my face, I dig the heels of my hands into my eyes to stop the crying. It hurts, it doesn't help me either.

"Rick you with me?...Rick?" Daryl asks, Rick doesn't even look like he hears him. Maggie turns to Carl, she gives him the baby and Hershel watches.

"Let me see the baby." Hershel says, I turn to him and Carl walks over, Daryl follows us.

"What are we gonna feed it? We got anything a baby can eat?" Daryl asks, Hershel doesn't answer. Carl shows him the baby, Hershel peels away the jacket and looks at the baby.

"The good news is she looks healthy. But she needs formula. And soon or she won't survive." Hershel says looking at Daryl. It's a girl! I smile a little at the baby.

"Nope. No way, not her. We ain't losing nobody else. I'm going for a run." Daryl says putting his crossbow over his shoulder and looking around.

"I'll back you up." Maggie says. Her eyes are red and her face is puffy. I'm sure mine is too.

"I'll go too." Glenn says. I look at him, he looks at me and sighs. He walks over to me and places his hand on my shoulder. I feel the tears come back but nothing comes out of my eyes. I just feel sad, I don't cry, I don't scream. Nothing. Just sad.

"Okay, think where we're going. Beth." Daryl says. He pulls Beth aside and he looks at me and Carl. I look back down at the baby and let the baby hold onto my finger.

"You two get the fence. Too many pile up, we got ourselves a problem. Glenn, Maggie! Vamonos!" Daryl says sorting things out. Rick walks over and picks up his axe. I watch and Maggie tries to follow after him.

"Rick!" Maggie shouts. Beth pulls me and Carl into a hug, we watch as Rick walks back into the prison. Daryl, Glenn, and Maggie walk away. The five of us stand there watching everything happen. 

"Get the gate. COME ON, we're gonna lose the light!" Daryl says running to the cars. Glenn and Maggie run to catch up with him, I look at the baby and it's grip on my finger gets tighter. I pull away a little and it's crying gets a little louder. I leave my finger alone.

I watch a motorcycle with Daryl and Maggie drive off. I look down and see Glenn standing there by himself, he shakes his head and looks at the ground. He walks over to us, he looks at me and places his arms on my shoudlers.

He's really gone. It doesn't feel real. I'll never hear an I love you from him. It really was my last hug. I won't get called sweet girl again. It'll never ever happen again, I just want one more talk. One more hug, one more conversation, something. One more something. Please.

"I'm- I'm gonna go dig the graves. Just talk to me if you need anything." Glenn says removing his hands and walking away. I nod my head, we go back inside the prison and sit down with the baby. I sigh and look at my dad's cell. 

He made his bed, he probably thought he was gonna come back and sleep in it tonight. I walk into his cell and sit down on his bed. I look at the bag on the floor, I grab it and start to go through some of it. I take out a folded piece of paper. I open it and see a pitcure of me when I was a baby, my dad, my mom, my grandma, and my cousin. Noah.