Better Angels

The next morning is cold, it's sunny but it's cold. I wake up to my dad gone and his bed made, I change and get into some jeans, a long sleeve, and a t-shirt over it. I walk outside and put my shoes on.

Lori and Carl walk out of the tent, Glenn and the rest of Hershel's family walks out of the house as well. I wait for them and we walk to the "graveyard" together. We stand there in silence before Rick starts speaking.

"Dale could- could get under your skin. He sure got under mine, because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought, how he felt. That kind of honesty is rare... and brave. Whenever I'd make a decision, I'd look at Dale. He'd be looking back at me with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another. I couldn't always read him, but he could read us." Rick says. I wipe my cheeks and sniffle.

"He saw people for who they were. He knew things about us: the truth, who we really are. In the end he was talking about losing our humanity. He said this group was broken. The best way to honor him is to unbreak it. Set aside our differences and pull together, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and take control of our lives, our safety, our furture. We're not broken. We're gonna prove him wrong." Rick tells the group, my dad places a hand on my shoulders.

"From now on we're gonna do it his way. That is how we honor Dale." Rick says. Everyone stands for a minute or so before walking away. I walk with my dad and Carl walks with his mom.

"I have to go and check up on fences, kill any other walkers that got in. Stay with Lori and Carl please." My dad says hugging me and walking to the blue truck. I walk over to them and sit down next to them. The truck starts and they drive off to where Dale was killed.

The camp is silent and no one does much, no one is hungry enough to eat. I look at the R.V. and expect Dale to be on the roof looking out with his bucket hat and his hawaiian shirts. God they were so ugly, but I really do want one now. I wipe my cheek from the tears on my face that fell from before. I look at Carl and he wipes his cheeks as well. I look at Glenn and he gives me a hug.

"Do you think I could have a shirt of Dale's?" I ask Glenn he looks at me and nods his while smiling. He places his hand on my shoulder.

"I thought you said those things are the ugliest things ever?" Glenn says. I look at him and nod my head and smile, Glenn nods his head and walks to the R.V. and I follow. He walks to a box under the bed and pulls out a yellow one. I smile and grab it.

"Hey. Don't ruin it, please." Glenn says. I nod my head and walk out to my tent. My dad is folding up the cots and rolling up his sleeping back. I open the container and place the shirt in there.

"What are you doing? Are we leaving?" I ask my dad. He looks up and shakes his head no.

"We're moving into the house, so start packing." My dad says grabbing the cots. I kneel down and start rollling up the sleeping bag. I pack up and grab my sleeping bag and backpack. I start walking to the house, Carl catches up with me. I place my stuff on the living room floor, I place everything down but when I go to unpack I'm stoppef and moved out of the house. I see Carl on the front steps.

"They kick you out too?' Carl asks. I sigh and sit down next to him nodding my head. He laughs and kicks the rock off of the stairs. I watch as Hershel, Rick, and Andrea come walking up the steps. Andrea passes us and smiles before holding the door open for Rick and Hershel. Carl stands up and holds out a hand for me to stand as well. We decide to go and bother Shane.

"Hey Shane." I say dragging out the "Y". He looks up from the pile of wood and smiles at us.

"What's up you two? What y'all doing out here wandering alone?" Shane asks. I shrug my shoulders and Carl starts walking towards him.