Quidditch Try-Outs

Quidditch try-outs were that evening. No one new wanted to try for the team so it was a formality for them all to show up. Ford Krinkle, the captain, did have a speech in store, though.

'Gather around,' Ford announced, leaning on his broom. Bagsy, Teresa and Jon shared a look. The three of them remembered what Ford had said last year – that they couldn't win then, but that they could improve enough to win this year instead.

Bagsy felt pressure mount on her shoulders.

'Last year was one of the best Quidditch years for Hufflepuff for.... ages. For as long as I've been at this school.'

'And he's a seventh year,' Greenda added, elbowing Ford in the ribs. 'Isn't that right, old timer?'

Ford laughed. 'Sure is. My point is,' he continued, ignoring the glare Emmeline was shooting at Greenda for daring to speak in her presence, 'we can win this year.'

'We came last,' Emmeline cut in. 'Hufflepuff had their best year ever and we still came last. What's the point, Ford? We're not going to win this year. You know that.'

Ford clenched his jaw, looking at the ground in front of him.

'I know it'd be really nice for you to have a win before you leave but be real,' Emmeline continued. 'Maybe we can get third place, or if we're lucky scrape second, but first is impossible.'

Ford closed his eyes and stood silently. Bagsy shuffled uncomfortably from one foot to another.

Greenda was shooting daggers at Emmeline. 'We still have to try,' she said harshly. 'Maybe we would have won last year if you'd done better as a keeper. I don't have enough fingers or toes combined to count how many goals you let through.'

'You're one to talk,' Emmeline shot back. 'Your fingers and toes combined couldn't catch the snitch if it had two broken wings and a massive handle attached to it. You're bloody useless and no one likes you.' Frustration seemed to overcome Emmeline. 'We'd all be better off if you'd been born like your brother.'

Kat looked at Emmeline in shock. 'Emmeline!'

A vindictive rage seized Greenda's face as she clenched her hands tightly around her broom. 'Has anyone reminded you how much you look like Primrose recently?' Greenda retorted hotly, a look of malicious satisfaction crossing her face that Bagsy really didn't like.

Ford's head snapped up. 'Greenda!' he said loudly, anger stretched across his face. Greenda looked silently at Emmeline, fuming, hints of regret seeping into her features at what she'd just said, whatever it had meant. Emmeline, however, had a different expression.

Kat took a step towards Greenda. 'That was vile of you to say, Greenda,' she growled. 'Apologize.'

That only seemed to anger Greenda more. 'What's the point? My apologies mean nothing to her.' Bagsy looked from one person to another, completely lost as to what they were talking about now, and why everyone looked so angry about what Greenda had said.

'Team!' Ford roared, stamping the end of his broom harshly on the ground. He fixed Greenda, Emmeline and Kat with harsh stares. 'I am sick and tired of this squabble. Greenda, you did wrong and, evidently, you aren't really sorry about it.' Greenda took a step away from Ford and crossed her arms angrily. 'Emmeline, what happened was terrible, but it was an accident and you could definitely be more forgiving, and if you really want to be angry at someone, if you really want someone to blame, you know it shouldn't be Greenda.' Emmeline responded in much the same way Greenda had. Ford rubbed his temples with one of his hands. 'If you can't move past this I'll kick you both off the team and replace you.'