Owls Know Best

'How are you back already?' Bagsy had been about to leave the Owlery when Eldritch, her tiny fluff-ball of a tawny owl, had fluttered back to her. She peered down at his talons and saw, clutched in one of them, her letter to her sister still there. 'Eldritch, you need to deliver the letter!' she explained. Eldritch blinked his large, black eyes at her and Bagsy suppressed a shiver. 'Don't look at me like that.' Eldritch held her gaze. 'Alright, I'm sorry, I meant to say could you please deliver that letter to Bontie for me.'

Eldritch took off again, his wings fluttering more loudly than the barn owls they had in residence. Bagsy descended the steps from the Owlery and had only made it to the bottom when, once again, Eldritch returned, letter still clutched in his talons. 'Eldritch!' Bagsy scolded. Eldritch glared at her and fluffed up his feathers, dropping the letter and about to take off. 'Sorry,' Bagsy sighed, picking the letter up. Eldritch folded his wings and groomed his feathers moodily. 'Bontie's down near London, Eldritch. Aesher common. You spent all summer there, remember? Surely you can find your way to her?'

Eldritch held out one leg. Bagsy put the letter in it. Eldritch took to the sky and circled above her expectantly. Bagsy got the feeling he wanted her to follow him. Obliging, she found Eldritch leading her to Hogwarts lake. He flew over the water, becoming a speck over the vast blue, before returning and swooping down, landing on her outstretched arm, still holding the letter.

'Bontie isn't out there, Eldritch,' Bagsy reasoned. Eldritch looked at her silently. With a nervous glance at the lake, she took the letter from Eldritch and sent him back to the owlery. Putting the letter into her robe pocket, she hurried to breakfast.

'The lake?' Mezrielda asked incredulously. Bagsy nodded. 'It sounds to me like you need to check your owl. He could have an illness or fatigue.'

'Eldritch seemed fine to me.' Bagsy frowned in concern. 'I've been trying my best to take good care of him – I even feed him the food Teresa recommends, and she knows what she's talking about when it comes to animals.' Teresa had also, thankfully, obtained her own mischief of pet rats, and had allowed Bill to hang out with them to ensure her twilight years weren't lonely. It had solved Bagsy's trouble with figuring out how to best care of Bill in her old age which, given how much else was on Bagsy's plate, was no small mercy.

Mezrielda hummed thoughtfully and Bagsy's mind moved back to the problem at hand. Suddenly, an image struck her, of a dark, damp place below the lake. Her stomach dropped. But what could Bontie be doing in the under lake? Was she okay? Bagsy's gaze snapped over to the Slytherin table. Tod was sitting chatting with another Slytherin boy who had tan skin and shoulder length curly hair pulled back into a bun.

'Mezrielda?'

'What is it?'

'I need to talk with Tod. Could you distract whoever that is talking with him for me?' Bagsy requested, pointing at the boy.

Mezrielda placed her hand on Bagsy's, forcing it down. 'Don't point. It's rude. Also,' she turned narrowed eyes onto the Slytherin table, 'it will give away what we're about to do.'

'Thanks,' Bagsy said as she stood up, nerves already taking hold of her. The last time she'd gone over to the Slytherin table she'd scuttled off in fear from their glares.

As they got closer Bagsy caught Tod's eye, who waved pleasantly at her.

Mezrielda confidently sat down on the other side of the boy Bagsy didn't know. 'Hello, Hamley,' Mezrielda greeted with as much warmth as a snow ball to the face. Despite her bid for social respect, she still couldn't get friendliness quite right.

'Hi,' Hamley, Bagsy now knew he was called, responded cautiously.

'Have you finished Professor Hilkins homework for Transfiguration?'