A Terrible Accident

The first of Bagsy's exams was the final assessment of her Herbology project. The lesson began with hushed whispers and conspiratorial insights when it was discovered that the clostra boab Teresa and Neve had been working on, a tree that was second largest in the class after Bagsy and Arice's, had vanished. Only a large crater was left in the ground where their herbology project had once stood. Teresa was fuming, ranting about how unfair it was all her possessions constantly went missing, while Neve looked close to tears. Comforting them, Professor Wattleseed explained that he remembered how good their tree had looked, and not to worry as he'd pass them regardless.

Everyone else in the class, whose trees hadn't vanished, had managed to grow a clostra boab at least as tall as a small child. Some were a light yellow in colour, as no bark had formed, whereas others were a dark bronze and shimmered like oversized beads in the summer sun. Bagsy and Arice's clostra boab, though it felt more like Bagsy's seeing as Arice hadn't bothered working on it for a good while, stood at nearly ten feet tall. When Wattleseed's magic tape measure wound itself around the tree and ran its analysis, it turned out it was eight feet wide – by far the largest of the entire class.

When it came time to test the durability of the trees, Wattleseed lugged a large container of dangerous looking weapons and substances over and began attacking the trees. Amazingly, even the palest coloured, smallest clostra boabs only took dents from his fearsome three-pronged chainsaws, acid potions, and arm-length needles. Bagsy's boab didn't show the slightest hint of a scratch as a result of his terrifying onslaught.

Professor Wattleseed tried his hardest and by the time he was done was sweating and breathing heavily, looking at the tree in defeat. 'That is one tough tree,' he relented, leaning against the flaming pitch-fork he'd been trying to skewer it with. 'I think that's the toughest clostra boab I've ever encountered. Well done Bagsy and Arice.'

Bagsy gave her clostra boab a friendly pat. She could certainly see how it could be used as a prison – there were four small lines, barely noticeable, in its side that indicated an opening leading to the hollow inside. Once inside, Bagsy was certain she wouldn't be able to get out unless the tree wanted her to.

'I can confirm that everyone has passed, though your precise result will have to wait to be released with the rest of them at the end of the year. Everyone give yourselves a pat on the back, you should be proud!' Wattleseed said, 'I hereby announce this exchange programme with Quolldron College a success!' he thrust his fist triumphantly into the air, smiling widely and looking very enthusiastic indeed.

Teresa cast Arice and Bagsy's boab a jealous look as she and Neve set back off towards the castle. Winifred, on the other hand, looked pleased with herself – her clostra boab had turned out a beautiful auburn colour with a glossy finish and, unlike Teresa's, hadn't disappeared into thin air. Wattleseed's antics had only caused small damage to it, as well.

'Miss Beetlehorn, Mr Allthorn,' Wattleseed called as Bagsy and Arice turned to leave.

Bagsy glanced at Arice nervously before walking over to Wattleseed. 'Yes, Professor?'

'I always like to congratulate those who come top of the class,' he explained, 'but seeing as it's been you three years running, Bagsy, I thought I'd say it in private to avoid any animosity between you and your peers.'

'Oh!' Bagsy started. 'Thank you, I appreciate that, professor.'

'Well done to you too, Arice,' Wattleseed added with a pleasant smile at him.

Arice grimaced. 'In truth, sir, I didn't really do anything.'

Bagsy looked at him uncertainly.

Wattleseed quirked an eyebrow, straightening his square glasses in interest. 'Oh?'