Struggles of the Silent

Professor Starrett wasn't keen at the prospect of making an announcement on Mezrielda's behalf, but Professor Fitzsimmons had personally appeared to enforce the action.

'Miss Glint...' Starrett forced out to the gathered third years, who had been expecting their normal double Charms lesson, '...is taking a vow of silence to raise awareness for the magically mute of St Mungo's hospital. She has kindly provided us with pamphlets for those curious for more information.'

'How kind of her!' Bagsy heard Paloma murmur in front of her. Maisy, who was sitting next to her, grunted in annoyance but didn't correct her.

Primrose, who was on the opposite side of the class, looked positively indignant. She leant over to Logan, who was sitting next to her, and whispered something in his ear, before turning to Rebekah and repeating the action. Both of them erupted into hushed giggles they seemed barely able to contain. Bagsy shot them all glares until the second they began turning their heads in her general direction, at which point she stiffly looked down at her messy notebook and tried to shrink to the size of a squirrel.

'Yeah!' Teresa called loudly, sounding proud. 'Speak for those who can't speak for themselves!' she cheered. Neve nodded her head in agreement, but if she added anything verbally it was too quiet to be heard. Mezrielda gave a polite bow in Teresa's direction.

'Sit down, Miss Aviry!' Starrett snapped at Teresa. 'You too, Miss Glint, return to your seat, I have a class to teach.'

Mezrielda obeyed, gracefully walking up the steps and down the row to sit elegantly next to Bagsy, picking her quill up and neatly taking notes as the class began.

It surprised Bagsy just how long it took before Primrose began to cause a fuss. She managed to last the entirety of Potions, and most of Monday lunch, before approaching them.

'So,' Primrose drawled, Rebekah and Logan on her tail. 'A vow of silence, huh? What are you really doing. I can't believe someone like you would ever think about anyone but themselves.' Mezrielda looked at Primrose with a blank expression, and then forced herself to smile with all the softness of a pit of spikes. Primrose's nose flared in annoyance. 'Answer me. I know you couldn't give a rats arse about this vow of silence.'

'Don't bring rats into this,' Bagsy found herself saying in a small voice.

Primrose sneered and turned swiftly away from them. 'I'll bring rats into this if I want to,' she muttered as she walked off. Bagsy had been foolish, watching Rebekah and Logan follow after her, in her assumption that that was that.

At lunch the following day, for what felt like the first time in years, the sun was out and it wasn't raining. Mezrielda and Bagsy were relaxing outside enjoying the weather and the space they could put between themselves and others. Mezrielda was sitting on the grass, examining a book on different types of rocks and possible transfiguration spells to shift them, and Bagsy was hitting a ball up with a bat to see how long she could go before dropping it.

Without warning, there was a yelled incantation, and a spiral of ice shot towards Mezrielda. Not taking a second to think, Bagsy shot her hand out, the icicle shattering across her palm before it reached her friend. Instantly, she felt a chill creep up her back and to her throat, a sneeze bubbling in her chest. She'd forgotten she wasn't wearing her spell-sponge gloves. Surprisingly, though, a warmth spread across her back and the cold-sneeze jinx dissipated.

Confused, Bagsy turned to see Mezrielda, now aware of what was happening and on her feet. She had her wand in hand and was lowering it to her side. Bagsy wondered if Mezrielda had just cast a spell. Only, she hadn't heard her say teporiem so how could she have? Before she could think on it more, Primrose, because of course it was Primrose, let out a growl and hurled another jinx at Mezrielda. Bagsy watched, confused, as Mezrielda swiped her wand through the air and countered it without opening her mouth. Bagsy's own mouth was gaping in disbelief.