New Partners

Quidditch practise, which was that Thursday evening, didn't help lift Bagsy out of the miserable state she found herself in. Finding her hunger lacking, Bagsy had skipped dinner.

According to Teresa, walking with Jon and Bagsy to the Quidditch pitch, Mezrielda had been looking for her at dinner. 'She can be such a pest,' Teresa moaned. '"Where's Bagsy?" what am I, your babysitter?'

'She was probably just worried about her,' Jon offered. 'I'd be worried if Itsuki didn't turn up to dinner one day.'

'You all worry too much,' Teresa argued. 'If someone doesn't show up for dinner it just means they're doing something else, or they're busy, or just couldn't be bothered to come along. Everyone needs to stop worrying and toughen up a bit.' She breathed out harshly through her nostrils and folded her arms. 'It's tiring how sensitive people can be.'

Bagsy didn't say anything in response because she felt a little flattered that Mezrielda had been concerned about her.

The three third years pulled the hoods of their Quidditch gear up as it began to patter lightly with rain. Ford, Emmeline and Kat were already at the pitch and Greenda arrived a few minutes after them. Ford shot Bagsy a meaningful look – clearly, he was hoping she had some brilliant plan to reconcile Emmeline and Greenda. Instead of fixing an ancient feud, though, Bagsy spent the training session tiredly going through the motions, barely paying any attention. When, inevitably, Emmeline got mad at Greenda for being too slow in response to a glint of the golden snitch, and an argument broke out, Bagsy watched on with hollow eyes, not caring to intervene.

'Hey, hey, hey!' Ford yelled angrily, flying over to Emmeline and Greenda who were throwing insults back and forth.

'No one knew before you went and ruined everything!' Emmeline growled. 'You just can't keep your big mouth shut, can you? I hope the attention was worth it.'

'Well at least I understand that people make mistakes!' Greenda shot back. 'And when they do make mistakes, I give them a chance to explain themselves, and try to forgive them!'

'Both of you!' Ford cut over them. The rain was starting to pick up, and Bagsy didn't hear much of Ford's rant, but it was clear neither he, Greenda nor Emmeline were happy about it.

As the fighting continued Bagsy looked down at her hands. They were holding the Fleet Footed Fox, a broom she'd modified and had been invariably reliable during Quidditch. Rain drops splattered onto her hands, the only part of her body uncovered from the weather. She decided she'd had enough for that day and, without a word to anyone, descended to the ground and headed back to the castle.

'Of course. Missing Hufflepuff,' Teresa grumbled as she left. 'Leaves the second things get even slightly hard.' Bagsy stopped in her tracks and looked up at Teresa, who was looking down at her from her broom. Teresa shrugged. 'I'm not being mean. It's true. You need to grow a bit of a back bone, Bagsy.'

Bagsy watched Teresa silently, then turned and left. Maybe Teresa was right, but it wasn't a nice thing to say.

At double Herbology the next morning, Bagsy decided to enact Teresa's advice, and stop being a coward. 'We're not going to be partners this year,' she announced to her.

Teresa blinked, floored at the proclamation. 'What? Who's going to be your partner then?'

'I don't know,' Bagsy admitted. 'But I think you should be partners with Neve this year. It's clear she wants to be your partner, and I feel bad for stealing you from her.'

Teresa narrowed her eyes. 'Is this about what I said yesterday? Because if it is that's a massive overreaction.'

'It's not,' Bagsy lied. 'I just think it's only fair that Neve gets to be partners with her friend. Besides, I know other people are keen to partner with me who didn't get to last year.'