1: The Sexy New Secretary

Forewarning: This book is going to be a lot more mature in topics than APBAON has been. These are adults in this book instead of high schoolers, so there is more "adult" humor, such as explicit sex jokes and (very) strong language, and other not family-friendly topics like murder, kidnapping, illegal activities, etc. If you're uncomfortable with these things, please do not force yourself to read it! This will be the only warning for any of those things due to the frequency of them.

I don't plan on writing any sex scenes, but if I happen to feel a little risky, I'll make sure to let you all know in case you wouldn't want to read that. Chances are it won't happen, but it's possible.

Anyway, enjoy!

* * *

Staring at the paper on his desk, Ren wasn't surprised in the slightest. This was the third time in a month and a half that he'd been fired from his job.

"I see you've seen the notice," his boss - or rather, former boss - said as he approached Ren. "I hate to lose a valuable employee such as yourself, but you can't keep coming in two hours late every shift."

It's not my fault... Instead of voicing this, Ren just sighed. "I understand, sir," he replied quietly, his ears drooping slightly. "I can find another place to work." His tail swooshed slowly behind him in an almost agitated way. Getting fired is the worst.

The man smiled insincerely at Ren. "I hope you can."

* * *

"-And I got all ready and went in there for nothing," Ren vented. He turned to the stuffed bear on the side table next to his bed and sighed. "I need friends," he grumbled before flopping backward onto his pillows. "And sleep." He rolled over onto his side, now facing the wall.

How am I supposed to pay the rent by Saturday if I don't have a job? he thought hopelessly. He stared at the disgusting, old wallpaper as tired thoughts crossed his mind. I could mow the lawns in the neighborhood down the road... Or sell my things. But that wouldn't get me far, would it? He let out a groan. I could be an uber, too, but dammit, who drives anywhere in the city? Places are so close together, you could walk everywhere.

Rolling over onto his back again, the werewolf let out a fake sob as he covered his eyes with his forearm. "This freakin' sucks." He laid like that for a while, eventually falling asleep until his phone rang.

Ren jolted awake at the startling sound and scrambled to reach for the noisy device, squinting at the light on the screen in contrast to the dark room- Wait, it was dark? Hm, they must've cut the power.

Shaking himself, he answered the phone, not having read who was calling. "Hello?"

"Hey, Ren," a higher male voice said cheerfully. Grian, Ren's little brother. "You busy?"

Ren huffed a laugh. "What do you think the answer is to that?" he joked, earning a snort from the dirty blonde on the other side of the line.

"Oh, Your Glorious Majesty, Ren," Grian began in a dramatically regal voice, "do spare a sweet fraction of your time to come hang out with me at the Swaggon Coffee Shop." He laughed. "C'mon, I'll pay."

Sighing with a smile, Ren nodded as if Grian could see him. "Alright," he agreed. "Alright, I'll be there in five."

He heard Grian whisper, "Yes!" before the latter cleared his throat. "See you then."

"See ya'."

* * *

"Good morning" - Grian froze as he waved to the brunette, a quickly masked flash of concern in his eyes - "Ren..." He sighed as Ren sat down. "Dude. Have you been sleeping at all? You look like if Dracula and the Big Bad Wolf had a child." He paused. "No offense."