15: An Evil Has Come To An End

This the last chapter. Woah.

TWs: Self-delete/death, mention of sa, mention of abuse. Don't worry, I promise there is fluff! /gen

* * *

Grian screamed after a moment of stillness whilst watching the explosion. There was a crater the size of a small car, and in it laid Ren's scorched body. "No!" He sobbed, clawing at Bdubs' shoulder and trying to crawl over it even though he could hardly move his legs at all. He could barely see anything between the bright sun and the blur of tears in his eyes.

Bdubs hissed at the pain of Grian's talons digging into his shoulder, trying to stop him from falling off his back. "Grian-"

Grian reached out toward the small pit, wailing indecipherable things. He managed pushed himself off of Bdubs, landing on the ground with a hard thud.

"Grian, stop," Bdubs ordered as he grabbed the smaller by the waist to pick him up again. "You're hurt- Hey, stop that!" Grian made a rather deep cut in Bdubs' arm in attempt to escape his hold, leaving Bdubs gritting his teeth. "Dammit, Grian-"

"Step away from the detective, Bdouble O."

Bdubs looked up to see Etho and Iskall standing side by side, both of them in paramedic uniforms. Bdubs nodded and set Grian down.

Grian took this chance to drag himself along the ground toward the crater, but was stopped when Etho picked him up gently. He squirmed, but stopped when Etho tightened his hold.

"There we go, just relax. You're alright," Etho said softly before turning his attention back to Bdubs. "You can follow me. I'll treat your wounds and after that, you're under arrest."

Bdubs nodded silently and followed Etho over toward two ambulances. Etho and Iskall set Grian up on the gurney, then Etho left Iskall to take care of the avain whilst he tended to Bdubs.

"So, when did you start working for the Octagon?" Etho asked as he sprayed rubbing alcohol on Bdubs' arm.

Bdubs grimaced at the stinging. "About a week after you left me," he said quietly.

Etho nodded. "Why?"

Bdubs looked up at him, though Etho was concentrated on patching up his cuts from Grian. "What do you mean?"

The paramedic shrugged. "I mean, why," he said with a lighthearted laugh as he looked up now. "Why did you get involved in all of this?"

"I didn't mean to," Bdubs mumbled. "I was just looking for a job at the time. Then I met Doc, and..." His eyes began to water and he tried to play it off like it was from the pain of the rubbing alcohol. "Well-" He cut himself off in a fit of coughing.

"Damn," Etho grimaced. "That's a mean cough."

Bdubs huffed. "You try having your lover attempt to murder you with phosgene gas," he deadpanned. He started coughing again, turning his face to his shoulder. He bit back a groan when he tasted metal in his mouth, not hesitating before spitting on the ground.

Etho frowned. "Maybe we should take you to the hospital before you go to prison."

"Oh, please, I'm fine."

"...You were poisoned with phosgene gas."

"And?"

Etho blinked twice, almost completely at a loss for words. "I'm... You- You were poisoned... with phosgene gas..."

Bdubs quirked a brow at him. "Okay...? You already said that."

Etho sighed. "I'm going to repeat myself one more time," he said. "You. Were poisoned. With phosgene. Gas."