Interview

1997

I: interviewer

J: Johnny

I: You recently had a daughter. How are you dealing with parenthood?

J: She's everything. The baby is everything... it's so amazing my little family. It's just so... it's unbelievable. It's... uh... I don't know, it's the only thing that's ever happened to me really. The only thing, everything else is smoke. This is it, is real life.

I: Did you see the birht?

J: I was there, yeah. Unbelievable. I mean... I've been... since october 9th when my daughter was born... I have been floating... I smile constantly which I... never did before

I: And you never imagined you would have it? This kind of...

J: No... you know you can never... Everybody tells you and you know... you know their experience and you know it's going to be something... you know sublime but... no just don't... you can't imagine until it actually happens when you see this little angel arrive it's... I mean for Penelope and I we've.... the both of us have just been floating. It's unbeliavable.

E: Mila Grace... and why Mila Grace?

J: I don't know, we just... like the name, it was the only name that we would come up with for a girl. We both liked the name Grace, and i always have seen Penelope as a very graceful person, you know? She's elegant, charming, polite, respectful... and it was like naming our daughter after her in a different way. I think her mom suggested, Penelope's mom suggested Mila. In Spanish it's derived from the name Milagros, which means "miracles". She's something - said laughting at the end.

I: Man you really look happy.

J: I'm floating. I've never ever in my life uh... I haven't lived before that date. I was not alive. I existed. I imagined that I drew breath and exhaled and all that stuff but I don't... have any particularly... you know fond memories of it. I mean... I don't think I took a real breath until my daughter was born.

2008

I: Your daughter, Mila Grace, how old is she?

J: She just turned 12.

I: Last year she was nominated for her very first Oscar Award. You must be very proud!

J: Oh of course, Millie is... she's this talentd little creature, full of sass and humor... She's incredible, is just... she's growing so fast, watch my children grow up is... incredible.

I: How did she got into acting? Did she took an interest in it for you and Penelope or was it something else?

J: It's funny... When Millie was four, Penelope put Edward Scissorhands on the TV to try and explain to her... what our jobs were. And in her bright little mind she came to the conclusion that we got paid for uh... playing pretend, which fastinated her. So she told her mom... that she wanted to play with scissors too. - the public laughs.

I: She started very young though. Her first movie was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, you worked together right? How did that happen?

J: One of the reasons I took an interest for the role of Willie Wonka was because it was one of the kiddies favourites bedtime stories. When... when Millie found out I was auditioning for that movie she begged her mom and I to let her go to an audition too. We were... we were very nervous about it, you know... A little worried that if I got the part they would feel forced to just give one to her. We didn't want her to grow up thinking that she would just be handed wathever she wanted because of us. We wanted her... to achieve things on her own. We let her go to the audition, my sister went with her and she auditioned under the name Mila Palmer... which is my mom's maiden name, yeah.