1

The club was lively already as Steve Rogers nursed a beer, happy couples scrambling to get onto the dancefloor at the change of song.

A slow dance.

He'd promised her that, so hopefully she would show. 

"Good evening Captain", came the familiar British voice and he turned, seeing Mo now sidling up to him in a rather mesmerising dress, hair pinned perfectly into place and lipstick of a victory red painting her lips. "No partner?"

He smirked. "Just found her".

"I might say no actually". She jested as she looked around the dance hall at couples in loving embrace, swaying from side to side.

"You'd deny this face?"

She shot him a knowing look. "I'm not a woman who is easily swayed Captain, however when it comes to you stand corrected", and then looked back to the dancefloor. 

Steve shrugged, "I'm just asking the most beautiful girl in the room if she'd wanna dance with a guy like me".

"I agreed to a date didn't I? 

"Somewhat of an achievement considering the number of men you've turned down". This was true. She made men's heads turn without even trying. One of them had called her the prettiest little pilot he ever did see, and she was. Being the only female pilot on base made her target for keen eyes as well as very rude jokes. 

Mo now smirked. "They couldn't afford me if they tried". 

"And you think a guy like me can?" He asked, then realising they were now on the dancefloor, one of her hands delicately entwined with his whilst the other was around his waist. 

Her eyes now looked up at him. "You do realise the war is over, however that life that we want? There will always be someone or something standing in our way, we can never have it..."

His face fell, trying to make sense of what was happening, suddenly they were the only two in the dance hall on the floor, and now she let go of him and took a few steps backwards. "No...Lizzie..." He began, but the more he tried to move towards her, the further away she became. 

As Steve blinked, Mo had changed from her dazzling date night attire, now donning her suit. 

She, as well as the shield were covered in blood...

There was a large gash across her stomach as it continued to bleed out, however she remained standing, her eyes locking with his. "This is what will happen if you come back to me, but I need to warn you that Ross and his men are close, they will be with you by sunrise, wake up Steve...wake up and run!" She urged desperately. 

Steve's eyes snapped open and he shot up and out of bed, causing Sam and Natasha to wake and be on their guard immediately. A sheen of sweat glistened on his forehead and now he switched on the light of the shabby hotel room that they were lying low in. Running a hand through his hair that had become a little unruly (much like himself in some ways), he turned to his friends.

"We need to leave..." His looked darkened. 

"What's happening?" Sam now asked as he looked around to see whether there was any imminent threat. 

Steve gathered his things. "Ross and his men - they're onto us, if we don't get outta here now then they'll be here by sunrise". 

Nat blinked and shook her head. "How do you know this?" 

He stopped and looked at her. "Call me crazy, but my wife just told me in a dream that turned into a complete nightmare. We've gotta go, get your stuff." 

Sam and Nat looked to one another and then began to gathered what they had. Steve's instincts were usually right, whether it had been a dream or not. They had to move on and keep on running, just like they had been for the last two years of their lives. 

Wanda and Vision had been with them briefly, however the pair had parted from the group. They hadn't checked in with them in months so their whereabouts remained unknown, but there had been some sightings - none of them credible though.

 "Let's go". Steve finally said as they slipped out of the hotel and headed to where they had landed the jet. 

All the while his mind was spinning, even he could sense that Ross was close and somehow his wife warned him of the danger. Even though they had been parted for so long, she was still protecting him.

Steve just hoped that she was ok, and had been able to cope without him. He always kept an eye on the news channels, and her achievements had not gone unnoticed, but as of the last year, there had been barely anything about her. The odd news story here and there, but other than that? Nothing. 

Some nights were harder than others. He'd longed to feel Mo's touch ever since he had left. He missed her presence, her perfume.

He couldn't go home. 

It was too much of a risk for her. The kindest thing he could do was stay as far away as possible. That would ensure that she was protected. 

That didn't stop the longing, and it never would stop until he had her in his arms again.