POU CHYEN

Challenge No.81 - A New Kind of Chip.

Think out-of-the-box and imagine a new chip flavour. How might the head of marketing at the chip company plan to promote the new chip?

-----

The day began like any other, dealing with regular customers who came and went like the tide, but the ocean is unpredictable and so would be this day.

Like every other day, Mary came to buy the morning bread. "Six small loaves, please."

"Tell your mother hi?" He called after the little girl.

Marlon was too early. "No sweet bread?"

"Nope."

"Okay, two rock cakes."

An unknown customer entered. "Hello. When will the plaited break be ready?"

"Christmas Eve."

"How much?"

"Seven dollars for one."

"I'd like to order ten please."

"Sure." Tim retrieved a beat-up notebook from under the counter. "People pay in advance. Name and cell number?"

"Oscar. 285-1234." The man handed him a one hundred dollar note.

Tim wrote the information down and made change.

"See you on Friday." The man left.

Ms Ulalie shuffled in. "One big bread, please... how you doing today."

"I'm good."

"Don't forget me and the plaited bread. Christmas just not Christmas without plaited bread for my ham."

"Never." He tapped the order boom.

So they streamed in and out. Many he knew, some he didn't. Then the post-breakfast and just before lunch lull would fall. That's when Tim would close the tiny bakery for half an hour for his mug of coffee and a slice of cake.

He frowned as he heard the door open. He swore he'd locked it. He came forward through the door.

"Yes? Oh hey, Faith."

"Hey, cuz. This is my boss Clive Lewis."

"Hello." Tim greeted the man. "You came about the plaited bread order for Auntie Suzie? The usual seven?"

"Oh Lawd, I forgot!" She clasped her hand over her mouth.

"No worries. It's covered." He waved the notebook. "Well if it's not the bread – what then?"

"Faith as Head of Marketing has been telling us all about the potato chips that you make," Clive spoke.

"Ahhhh."

"He only makes them for family and some select friends." Faith explained.

"Do you know our products?" Clive asked.

"Oh yes. We all know about Iyanola Foods. Faith makes sure of that."

"Then you know we have a place for local products. She says you call it Seasonal Chips."

"That's right."

"Tim." Faith said.

"Faith." He imitated her tone.

"Tell him!"

"I flavour the chips with whatever fruit is in season. So at the moment, it's sorrel chips. Next month could be carambola."

"No banana or breadfruit?"

"Nah. Nuff of that around."

"I see. Do you have any in stock? I'd like to see your sorrel potato chips."

Tim shrugged. "Sure. Wait here." It didn't take him long.

"Looks interesting." Clive picked up one to sniff. "Smells delicious."

The cousins' eyes bulged as Clive began to eat one. "OH MY GOD! THAT'S AWFUL!" He tried to empty his mouth. He accepted a glass of water from Tim.

A more composed Clive glared at Tim.

"Faith didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what!?"

"We agree they're awful. But the dogs love them. They're chips for dogs."

© 20 May 2022