FAREWELLS ARE NOT FOREVER

Challenge No.86 - Top 10 List.

Write a top 10 list in the voice of a character. Is your character a tween writing in their diary? A person making a bucket list? How about someone listing their greatest fears? What does the list they make say about the character?

-----

"What's this?" Joy-Ann held up a beaten-up envelope, yellow with age. They were supposed to be decluttering the garage but kept stopping to reminisce. Her mother looked up from the cleaning she was doing. She took the envelope from the outstretched hand.

A quick glance and she knew exactly what it was. "It's a farewell letter from your father. How did it get out here?"

"A farewell letter?"

"Yes. The kind the men write when they're going on a suicide mission."

"So..." Joy-Ann didn't know what to say.

"Read it to me." Her mother passed the envelope back. "Let's sit on the bench."

They sat and Joy-Ann opened the precious document.

My Darling Jennifer...

She stopped. "Mum. Are you sure? This sounds really personal."

"It is. Now read it to me."

Joy-Ann shrugged and started anew...

My Darling Jennifer...

Let's get the bad stuff outta the way. If you're reading this it's because I'm dead. You will also note that this is not typed, this one I have to write. I won't ask you not to grieve because if I was reading this, I'd be a wreck. All I ask is that you don't mourn my loss forever. Life goes on and so must you.

Two women have been kidnapped. Ten men are needed for the rescue. The Commander asked for volunteers as we may not come back. Jen - we all stood. Every last man in the unit stood.

All the guys feel the same way. We have mothers, sisters, and daughters. No way we're letting them pigs grab our Caribbean women. In the end, we had to dip for numbers. I got "six" so I'm in.

I think of you and Joy-Ann - you all are my rock. We had so many plans, things we wanted to do. Do them still. Take Joy and make memories with her in my honour. Stuff like

1. Climb the Pitons

2. Ride the Zipline

3. Ride a Horse and go anywhere

4. Visit the petroglyphs at Dauphin

5. Watch a sunset - watch lots of them

6. Sing karaoke

7. Take a helicopter ride over the island

8. Plot our family tree

9. Take a Ghost Tour around the island

10. Go skinny dipping one night

Death has a way of focusing a person. We should have married. Except for the certificate, I am your husband in all things. I have survived this war because of your love that I carry like a shield around me.

I love you, Jennifer.

Your husband Jonathan.

Before either could comment a voice hailed them. "Hello? Where's everyone? I thought we were clearing out this place?"

"Jonathan," Jennifer replied. "Come see what Joy found."

He drew closer. "Oh my God."

"I don't understand, this is a farewell letter. But you're here." Their daughter admitted.

"Your father survived the mission. The women were rescued and on his first furlough home he came to me, gave me the letter and we did everything on that list."

"Including marry." Joy said.

"Including marry." Her father confirmed.

© 25 May 2022