ARE WE THERE YET?

Challenge No.84 - The Map Quest.

Write a scene or story that includes a character looking at a map.

-----

To truly appreciate the differences between men and women, one need only look to a road trip, that requires a map and directions. Such was the case with Betty and Barney Louison.

"Betty! Hurry up! We're going to be late!" Benny yelled.

"It's a beach party, one can never be late for a beach party." She emerged.

"So, you keep saying."

"I know that you packed the cooler and the extra drinks. But, oh husband of mine, did you remember to pack the food?"

"Yes."

"Both baskets?"

"Yes."

"Then I'd say we're ready to roll."

"For sure."

They locked up the house, got into the beat-up truck and headed out.

"I've never been to this beach. Do you know it? It's supposed to be so beautiful. But then again all beaches are beautiful." Betty gushed.

"All beaches may be beautiful, but by the time Lucians pass through, they look like crap."

"So true. Sad. But true. So, do you know it? The beach I mean."

"No. I don't know this one. New to me too."

Betty was instantly suspicious. "But you know where it is."

"Oh sure. Ted gave me directions. No worries."

"I know Ted. I know you. I worry."

"No worries," Benny repeated.

Betty checked the glove compartment. "Where's that map. What's the name again? Bailey Beach?"

"Yeah. Bailey Beach. I don't need a map."

"You may not need a map but I do. I can't find the map." She closed the compartment.

"Look there's the gap." Benny turned off the main road. But half an hour later there was no sign of the beach.

"Let's ask someone."

"No need. It must be the next junction. I'll just turn around, get back onto the main road and go down the proper road."

So that's what they did.

Two more times.

"What about the GPS?" Betty asked. "I forgot we had one."

"What about it?"

"Plot the route. That's what it's for."

"I don't need a GPS on a two by four island like Saint Lucia."

"We're lost."

"We're not lost!"

They drove around a bit more.

"Will you just consult the map!" Betty said for the third time.

For the third time, her husband replied. "I'm not lost!"

This time she caught the mumble. "Just don't know where we are at the moment."

"Oh, for heaven's sake. MARTHA!" She activated the truck's GPS. "Route to Bailey Beach."

Betty was glued to the map on the screen as the system booted up at the command. She watched keenly as it conducted the plot of the path needed.

"I regret to inform you that you are lost." The AI replied.

© 23 May 2022