MANDY

101 - Bonus Story

Taken from Flash Fiction February challenge of 2022:

Day 10 of the challenge - Write something romantic.

-----

He'd been attracted to her from day one. Problem was that she'd just emerged out of a relationship where her heart had been shattered. At least that's what the water cooler collective had insisted.

Single.

Not ready to mingle.

Ever.

But it was valentine's week.

She was an incredible woman and after two months of working together, he was in love. She didn't know it yet, but he was going to be her husband and father of her children. But she needed to heal and he was going to get her there.

But for that, he needed a plan – and he had one.

So here he was, valentine's day, unannounced, on her doorstep.

The door opened in response to the doorbell. The flatmate answered.

"Dennis? Everything okay?"

"Oh yes. I'm here to take Mandy out."

"Mandy?"

"Yes. Mandy." He insisted.

"Well... Once you're sure."

"I'm sure."

"Alright then. MANDY!" The flatmate yelled and left.

Mandy trotted up, wagged her tail and licked his hand. He pulled a lead out of his pocket and clipped it on. Of course, she followed.

"Dennis, what are you doing with my dog?"

"Oh hey, Cassie. There's an event at the dog park. Humans allowed only if escorted by a dog. Last week when the staff bus dropped you off, Mandy agreed to take me."

"Woof!" Mandy confirmed

Her lips twitched. "Did she indeed."

"Yes, ma'am." He was all business.

"Mandy can't just go out alone, she needs a chaperone." Cassie declared.

"Oh? Well, I suppose you could come keep an eye out. But I assure you that my intentions are honourable."

"Your intentions towards my dog are honourable."

"Yes ma'am. But I understand your concerns as a doggie parent. So please feel free to chaperone us."

"I think I will. I'll let Stella know that we're gone."

"Sure, we'll wait." He slipped Mandy a doggie biscuit and tickled her behind her ear while they waited.

She was back in a flash. "No funny stuff!" She warned.

He placed his hand on his heart. "I will have you know that my mother raised a gentleman and I have the utmost respect for Mandy."

She'd always carried an aura of melancholy. It was like a cloud that clung to her. He doubted she even realised she had it. No doubt a legacy of what had gone before. But this evening, being chaperon to her dog, a crack of sunshine peeped out.

That's all Dennis needed.

© 10 February 2022