HONEYSUCKLE ROSE

Challenge No.98 - Colour Me Happy.

Don't paint colours have the best names? Explore paint colours on a hardware store website. Pick a colour or colour name that intrigues you, and use it to inspire a scene or story.

-----

Located in the cul-de-sac of the small housing development, in the warm tropical sunlight, surrounded by the noisy neighbourhood children, the house at the end of the street seemed cold and lonely. Today two husband and wife teams visited it. One pair was the Real Estate Agents, the second pair were the clients.

The four stood on the street and surveyed the building.

"There it is!" Mr Esli Sampson the client jumped out of the car.

"Are you sure this is the one?" Gavin Felix, the male Sales Rep asked.

"Oh yes." Gale Sampson replied.

"We're looking for a DIY house project." Her husband explained.

"Yes. So you said." Gavin replied.

"We'll need to get all these vines cut back. I must apologize for the state and condition. The owner has a lackadaisical attitude towards the whole process." Gavin said.

"No worries. That's why we want it. Don't touch a thing!" Esli explained.

"It does seem so sad and lonely," Gale observed.

"Yes." Gavin agreed.

"Do you know why?"

Gale caught the exchanged looks between the Estate Agents. "Oooo tell it!"

"Sure. This house belongs to the Rainbirds. Gregory, Hyacinth and Honeysuckle Rose." Gavin started. "When Honeysuckle Rose was seven, her mother died. A victim of the coronavirus pandemic."

"Oh, no!" Gavin sympathised.

"Gregory was an undertaker, and schools were closed, so HR as she was called ended up alone. Enter Mrs Davenport."

"What happened?" Gale was agog.

"HRs dad hired her to be tutor and caretaker. The first thing she did was lock the seven-year-old in a cupboard, claiming there was no small room available to function as the punishment room."

"What!" Esli was shocked.

"The slightest infraction and into the cupboard HR went. Reports to her father were a waste of time. He was hardly home due to his pandemic duties and when he was home, he didn't believe HR."

"Pandemic lasted three years." Esli's voice was low.

"Yes, it did."

"This went on for three years?" Gale was afraid of the answer.

"No, only for two."

"Phew!" Gale dramatically placed her hands on her chest.

"After two years of hell, nine-year-old HR took a butcher's knife and killed Mrs Davenport." Gavin deadpanned.

"She what!" Elsi had not expected that.

"Gregory Rainbird came home and found Davenport dead on her bed in a pool of blood. 'What have you done?!' her father cried. 'Killed her.' was the matter of fact reply." Gavin ended.

"What happened to the child? Poor little thing!" Gale lamented.

"She was only nine, Saint Lucia had never had the likes of this. She went into state home, was monitored by Wardens until eighteen then released."

"What a story! Mrs Felix, you haven't said a word." Esli realized.

"No wonder the house is so sad. But you go by the name HR too." Gale pointed out.

"My name is Honeysuckle Rose, before I married my last name was Rainbird."

"So! Allu still buying the house?" Gavin asked.

© 6 June 2022