CHAPTER 6

After they met in the woods, Khan sat in the back seat of Enzy's car, staring out the window as they drove through the bustling city. Enzy glanced at him in the rearview mirror, his brow furrowed with concern. "Khan, what happened?" he asked.

"I... I felt it too.."

Khan remained silent, lost in thought. He couldn't shake the image of Zira's terrified eyes from his mind, and the memory of nearly losing control of himself was still vivid. He clenched his fists and gazed at his palms as if searching for answers.

The car came to a stop at a red light, and Khan rolled down the window, inhaling the scent of exhaust fumes and city smog. He felt suffocated and needed fresh air.

What if she was telling the truth? He thought as he rolled the window up.

Enzy turned to him, his voice stern. "You can't keep on hiding things from us, Khan. I knew something happened when you met that girl on the campus grounds. And if I didn't come after you, I wouldn't have known she was a mage and what you could have done to her."

Khan knew Enzy was right. He couldn't keep this to himself any longer. "That mage," he finally spoke, "I'm not sure if she had cast a spell on me, but I feel a magnetic physical force whenever she's around."

Enzy remained silent; his eyes were focused on the road.

"It's a similar feeling when it's the full moon. That's why I wore two earrings tonight. I needed answers, so I followed her into the woods. I only realized she was a mage after seeing the magical dagger she held... And when I touched her, I got electrified that I suddenly let her go."

"This started when we met Zira on campus the first time, right?" Enzy glanced in the mirror to look at Khan.

"Yes. But the thing is, she.." Khan halted. "Zira told me that she felt it too."

There was a brief pause between them. Enzy must be trying to process everything Khan just said and later clicked his tongue in exasperation.

"That was risky, Khan. You decided to come after her tonight, on a Flower Moon out from all night in the calendar. It's not that I don't trust your control over yourself, but anything can happen. Also, the woods are so vast. What if I did not make it on time? Also, there was a ring of light that exploded in the woods. It came from where you were."

"Light that exploded?" Khan repeated what Enzy said.

"Yes," Enzy confirmed.

Khan crossed his arms across his chest. He saw the light coming from them but didn't give it much thought. He was more concerned with how his body reacted when he touched the mage at the time. Now, he's wondering what could have triggered the light.

"You said Zira felt it, too. Do you believe her?" Enzy's brows arched as he asked Khan.

"I think she's telling the truth," He replied. "But I can't trust her just yet."

Enzy nodded. "So, what should we do with her?"

Khan stared at Enzy's eyes in the mirror. "We need to keep her close. I need to look more into this."

"Alright, leave it to me." Enzy said, "I'll call Mavis tomorrow to help us."

"Thanks." Khan rolled up the window as the wind grew colder. "We'll tell Najak and Tahel tomorrow at your cafe."

"Sure, I'll close the cafe early for us."

"Sounds good," Khan replied as he closed his eyes to take a nap.