CHAPTER 8

After all the vampires' bodies had been burned, they called for backup and had their camp near the house. Then, they all returned to the house, talked about the marks they saw from the vampires, and reported back to Zille.

"It's done." Enzy set his phone down on the table after sending the photos to the Zille barracks.

Khan rested his chin on his curled hand as he leaned against the table. The vampires had burnt marks on their arms in the shape of the moon and stars, which they also discovered on those who attacked them in the villa. He recalled what the vampire they captured said, that it was the Virilis somehow, but surprisingly he died before revealing who was behind it. As soon as he opened his mouth, he was unexpectedly reduced to ashes by some unknown energy, and they were unable to stop it.

It looked like Caesar's coven had already decided to go against them before they came to visit.

"What do you have in mind, Khan?" Najak asked as he took a grape off the fruit tray and ate it.

Khan turned to face him, straightening his back. "We should return to Zille tomorrow. I believe the Virilis was involved in the attack, but we lack solid evidence. We should step back a bit."

"I agree," Enzy said. "Now that we know the Virilis are working with the dark mages, we should go back and make plans instead. They joined forces with them for a reason: something to do with us. The treaty was just a front."

They all agreed with a nod.

The oven chimed, and Elocine stood up. "Okay, that's our dinner. I'll serve the meal."

"I'll go with you," Zira said as she followed Elocine to the kitchen.

"If grandma hears this, she'll assign me five bodyguards," Tahel grumbled.

Najak tossed another grape into his mouth. "You bet."

"I don't think so," Enzy disagreed, brightening Tahel's face. "I believe Madame Mikaela will give you ten bodyguards," Enzy added.

Tahel sighed, his cheek resting on his hand.

Khan chuckled, seeing the youngest's reaction. "Tahel, your grandmother is only doing that to keep you safe."

Tahel pouted as he scribbled on the table with his finger, "I can take care of myself. I'm already 17 years old."

Smiling, Khan responded, "As you say so."

Elocine and Zira returned with their meal on a tray. Najak stood up to assist them while Enzy went to the kitchen to get a pitcher of water and a low-alcohol red wine.

They went to bed early after dinner and planned to depart for Zille at 4:00 am to make it to class. As they slept, the backup camp next to the house kept a bonfire and an eye out for any danger.

*

Two days since they arrived from Cagliari.

Najak stood by the billiard table's far end, calculating and estimating his next move. Then, holding the chalk in his hand, he applied some to the cue stick's tip and positioned himself tactically, focusing on the target. As Najak hit the last ball with the cue, it rolled into one of the pockets on the pool table.

"No..." Tahel slapped his forehead as he saw Najak take all of the bet money. Najak simply smiled and popped open a bottle of flavored water.

"Hey, let's play another round," Tahel suggested, taking out the last five ciels from his pocket.

*** Ciel is a paper bill. Each ciel is equivalent to two gold coins.

Najak wiped his mouth. "I will agree, but you have to say you have a crush on Zira first." He grinned.