CHAPTER 11

After speaking with Mono, the four decided to report to Damien, Khan's father. They told the current head everything they had learned, from vampire sightings to the news that the werewolf clan in Mattituck had been attacked.

"Is that all?" Damien asked as he blew out all the smoke from his cigarette, almost filling the room.

"Yes, Dad," Khan replied while lowering his head.

Damien's gaze was drawn to Tahel, who coughed and covered his nose with his shirt.

"Will you put this out, Soma?" He extended his hand to his bodyguard and slid the cigarette into the ashtray Soma was holding. When Soma walked out, one of the guards opened the windows.

"Is that any better, Astana?" Damien asked Tahel.

Tahel nodded quickly. "Yes, Uncle-"

Enzy elbowed him lightly.

"I mean, yes, Chairman. Thank you," Tahel gave an awkward smile and looked at Khan, who was mouthing to him that it was okay.

"The clan from Mattituck," Damien said, clasping his hands and resting his elbows on the table. "We should not step in unless they asked for help. Instead, we should concentrate on the vampires spotted in the nearby city."

"I agree," Khan said. "But we only have the information of the two of them. We don't know much about the other five and how strong they are."

Damien narrowed his eyes at the four sitting in front of him. His eyes went to Enzy.

"Would you like to say something, Héroux?"

Enzy cleared his throat and looked directly at Damien. "Yes, head. To increase our chances of beating them, we should make them split or attack them when they're not together."

Damien looked at each of them and asked. "So, have you come up with a plan?"

The room fell into silence, and all they could hear was the clock ticking.

After a short moment, Khan raised his head and looked at his father, who was waiting for a response. "We might have just the perfect plan to bait them."

He turned back to his brothers, then smiled at each other.

-x-

Zira didn't see Aeryn come to Uni for two days. She didn't know what could have happened because Aeryn had never been late or missed any of their classes. Her eyes went to the seat where Aeryn usually sat.

I hope she's okay.

The bell rang, so she picked up her books and walked directly to the dining hall. Before entering the building, she heard Lia calling her from the back. She watched her run closer to her, holding a lunchbox.

"Is that for me?" Zira asked, smiling and reaching for the lunchbox.

Lia lifted the box and reached into her blazer pocket for something. "This is for you."

It was a food stub for a complimentary three-course meal. Zira took the small piece of paper from Lia's grasp.

"Thank you. Now give it to me," Zira reached for the lunchbox again, but Lia stopped her.

"This is for Najak," Lia said with a big smile. "I got up early to prepare this lunch for him. Could you please give him this on my behalf?"

"Tss," Zira teased Lia as she snatched the lunchbox from her hand. "You're making him lunch, but not your best friend? This is so unfair." Her lips were pursed tightly.

Lia gave Zira's head a light tap. "I'll make you one next time. I have to go now. Go eat your lunch."

Zira nodded and looked at the lunchbox. A note was tied to the handle with a piece of thread.