CHAPTER 14

Tahel groaned as he slowly opened his eyes, his vision blurry at first. He blinked a few times, then squinted as he tried to make out the figure next to him. It was Zira, tapping her pen on the desk and he pressed his hand against hers. He must have dozed off during the lecture again.

"Sorry," Zira said as she noticed him waking up. She removed her hand from his grip and reached for her notepad to start scribbling.

They're sitting at the top of the lecture hall, where they first met, but this time Tahel was seated next to her. They have some free time because Prof. Clarivan went out to meet the new intern who will take over his classes in the coming weeks while he is on vacation.

"You shouldn't sleep during class." She told Tahel without looking.

He yawned, his breath smelling like the cherry gum he still had inside his mouth. "I was playing games with Najak until 2:00 am. He won't let me go until he doesn't beat my high score."

Hearing that, Zira picked up her bag, then pulled out a small bottle. She handed it to him. "Here, it will help you stay awake."

Tahel scrunched his nose while looking at the peppermint oil. "That smells like what my Grandma uses."

She motioned her hand again, offering the bottle.

"Fine," He took the bottle, opened it, and placed it close to his nose. He started sniffing from the tiny vial.

Zira started gliding her pen again, but her eyes were in a daze. Since they left the seer's tavern, the prediction about Tahel has been on her mind. Every one of them didn't take the vision well. Najak tried to start a fight with the old seer and Enzy needed to add a payment for the damages.

Before leaving, the seer pointed to her forehead and cast a spell to open her other gift, which was to see the future.

"I've opened your eyes, young mage. But since this was not your main gift, the visions will not come at your will. They will come to you anytime, and you will never be able to see your future or those which are yours."

"Tss," Zira recalled what the seer said.

I can't even see my future or anything that belongs to me. Zira thought, blowing a lock of hair from her face. Her gaze then fell on Aeryn's back who was seated in the first row.

And Aeryn.. Something is different with her.

Tahel blew his hair out of his eyes, his face still lying on the desk while he watched Zira deep in her thoughts and scribbling in her notebook.

"Is something bothering you?"

Zira paused her hand from drawing. She looked at her notebook and saw that all she had drawn were lines and circles. She sighed.

"Are you okay?" Tahel sat up straight, still holding the peppermint bottle. "Are you worried about what the seer said about me?"

She glanced at Tahel, who didn't look a bit worried. He smiled at her.

"I'll be fine. Nothing bad will happen to me. Our lives are in our hands, Zira. We make our destiny."

After saying that, Tahel put the lid back on the small vial and gave it to her. Zira just stared at him. Deep inside, she knew Tahel was aware that the prediction was not to be taken lightly.

She felt a tug in her heart.

"Tahel," Zira said. "Come closer."

Tahel raised his brows. "Why?" He asked, but he eventually moved closer to Zira while sitting in his chair.