CHAPTER 15

The moon cast a silvery glow through the trees, illuminating the path before them like a shimmering ribbon. Khan led the way, his footsteps soft and swift as he navigated through the dense forest. The rustling of leaves and the smell of damp earth and pine needles filled the air.

"They've broken up. We should as well," Khan said.

Enzy faced Najak, and they nodded to each other. They turned while Khan ran straight to go after Heli and two other vampires. Enzy ran at the front as he is a better tracker than Najak.

Throb.

Enzy clenched his teeth as he felt the pain in his wrist again. He tried not to mind it by increasing his speed, but the more he went, the pain became more agonizing. He suddenly halted and grasped his hand into a tree. His eyes went into his wrist, where veins had become more visible.

"What's the matter?" Najak checked on him.

"N-nothing," Enzy inhaled sharply as the pain in his wrist intensified. Najak's raised his brow, looking at him and down at his hands. He stepped closer to him.

"Are you okay?" Najak asked.

Enzy looked right into Najak's light grey eyes, which were staring eagerly at his.

"I'm fine," He answered.

Najak didn't look convinced, and it showed on his face. Enzy cleared his throat.

"Why don't we split up? The time is running," Enzy said. "I can still sense that the Virilis is close by."

He could see that Najak's expression had changed, and he seemed to loosen up.

"Yeah, let's go," Najak said.

"You can go ahead to that path. I'll go this way," Enzy pointed to the other side.

"Okay," Najak replied, his hand on Enzy's shoulder. "Stay alive, brother."

Enzy nodded. "You too."

As soon as he replied, he watched Najak dash out, hearing his quick steps and the trees cracking as he punched them out of the way. Once he could no longer hear any signs of Najak, Enzy closed his eyes, his back leaning over the tree while holding his hand. His sweat trickled at the side of his face. The pain in his wrist felt like something was coming out of it. He bared his teeth.

I must keep going.

With his back still against the tree, he pushed himself up and took a step. After a few strides, a soft sound on the ground alerted him, and he turned around, ready to tackle whatever was coming. He watched a tall figure emerge from the back of a tree.

Enzy growled softly.

"I'm not here to fight," Solon said as he walked closer. "I'm here to remind you about the white mage."

This voice.

Enzy discovered that the voice he kept hearing in his head was Solon's.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Enzy said as he kept on guard, his eyes not leaving him.

Solon scoffed, then began to pace. "Stop playing dumb."

They looked at each other. Enzy's fingers curled into a fist.

"What made you think I'm going to hand you the white mage?" The corner of Enzy's lips raised while saying this in spite.

"Because you will," Solon answered, grinning. "If you bring us the white mage, we will free the three werewolves from Mattituck in exchange."