CHAPTER 17

The noise outside the cell awakened Zira. She opened her tired eyes and saw people lining up to enter the cell across from her, consisting of men and women with a few children in sight. She looked through the space between the bars just enough to see a small boy trip and reach out for support with his hand. When his tiny hand grabbed the Virilis guard's long dress, the vampire whipped him, and his cry echoed off the walls.

Zira got to her feet and headed up to the bars, where she saw a brown-haired girl around her age quickly approach the boy. Standing close to them, she saw that these people had silver auras covering their heads and shoulders.

Werewolves..

"What are you doing? He's just a child!" The girl said as she put her body over the boy and then took an intense whipping.

"Hurry up and get inside!" The guard swung the whip at the girl again.

Zira moved her hand to reach out but couldn't do anything herself.

If only I could use my powers.

Her eyes and the girl's gazes met, and she could see the rage on the girl's face, and her hands were trembling, ready to charge at the vampire anytime. Zira shook her head at the girl. Fighting back would only make the vampires hurt them more.

The werewolf girl stared at her and slowly turned to where the door was. She lowered her head and grabbed the boy's hand to enter the cell, and then the rest followed.

Once all the werewolves were inside the cell, the guards locked the bars, and then they all left. Zira wondered why, as they never left the underground cells alone, especially now that they had more prisoners. She cast a glance at the werewolves huddled in the corner of the cell.

She cleared her throat, and a few turned to look at her.

"Hello, I'm Zira. Where are you from?" Zira asked, wanting confirmation if they were a part of the clan that Enzy wished to save.

A few werewolves exchanged glances, but no one responded. Zira rubbed her neck and lowered her gaze. Starting a conversation is one of the many things she was not good at.

"We're from the land of Mattituck."

Zira looked up and saw the girl who had saved the boy earlier getting closer to the cell bar. She is tanned, and one of her eyebrows is cut.

"They attacked our clan and took us as captives," the girl continued. "How about you, Miss?"

Zira paused to think. Before she could reply, the girl seemed to have realized something. She turned to the other werewolf girl.

"Maybe she doesn't know," the girl said, referring to her.

"I knew what they are," Zira said. "I witnessed the vampires hunting for humans, so they brought me here."

Another girl, this one with short yellow hair, chimed up, "They're probably going to make you a blood supply."

"Hey, you're scaring her," The brown-haired girl said and faced her. "I'm Darcelly, by the way. But you can call me Darshy."

"And I'm Aicel," The one with the short yellow hair said, pointing to herself. "But I go by Aics. How about you?"

Zira was quite surprised by their friendliness. "I'm Zira."

Aics nodded while she was mouthing her name.

"Don't worry, Zira. I'm sure my brother found the others, and they're looking for us," Darshy said. "We will get you out of here."

Zira smiled at them, thinking the brother she talked about might be one of the werewolves Enzy traded with her. "Thank you."

She froze when she suddenly felt the atmosphere get dark and heavy.