Last Part

"Baby, take a deep breath and push!"

"Sidharth, it hurts like crazy!"

Sidharth could not bear the sight of her tear-filled eyes.

"Dr Parveen, can't we give her an epidural?"

"Who's the doctor here? Besides, she refused the first time I asked her!"

Sidharth pushed Shehnaaz's hair back from her forehead.

"You should not have, Shehnaaz!"

"I wanted to experience labour, Sidharth! Not numb myself to it!"

How did you answer that one?

"If you husband and wife are done talking, what about trying to get the baby out?"

Shehnaaz bit back her chuckle, even through the pain. Dr Parveen was quite the battle-axe!

"Shehnaaz, he's crowning! Now be a good girl and push at the count of three!"

Shehnaaz stared into Sid's eyes, as if drawing strength from him.

"One Two Three..push!"

Shehnaaz gave it her all and pushed. Life emerged from within her in a gush!

The baby let out an angry wail, not too happy at being pushed out of the dark, warm cocoon that had been his home for nine months now!

"Congratulations, Sidharth and Shehnaaz, you have a bonny baby boy!"

The words were redundant since they already knew. And yet, it was a formality that had to be gone through.

"Sidharth, come here and do the honours!"

Sidharth had never been so nervous performing major surgeries. He focused fiercely as he cut the umbilical cord with a trembling hand.

The baby was cleaned and the Apgar score was duly noted.

He was then handed over to Sidharth and he was asked to place it on Shehnaaz's chest!

The little one recognized his mother's warmth right away and burrowed in.

"Happy?"

"Are you?"

"What else would I be when my world is in my arms?"

"What else would I be when I am in your arms?"

Even the cynical Dr Parveen could not help her eyes moistening at the picture of love that the couple made, with their son in their arms!

Their love had defied convention, law and morality as society knew it to be! And yet, it had triumphed simply because it was as pure as the divinity that blessed it!

________________________________________

5 Years Later

God, it had been a long day!

Shehnaaz tried to loosen her stiff neck muscles.

Sidharth and the kids were coming to pick her up soon. They were going out for a pizza followed by a cartoon movie.

There was still a patient to attend to though.

She asked the nurse to send them in.

"Hello Shehnaaz...how are you?"

Shehnaaz looked up in surprise.