Part 4

Hello Readers, I'm glad you loved the beginning of story. But at the same time I'm disappointed due to less number of votes and comments. If you really feel the story is boring I'll end up the story in next 3 parts. Keep supporting, voting and commenting it boosts the confidence of writers.

Kavita had been in a great mood when the evening began. Finally it appeared everything was getting back to normal. Sid's behaviour in the last week or two had been disconcerting to say the least. She still couldn't put a finger on what had gone wrong with him but he hadn't been himself!

The thing that she loved most about Siddharth was that they were so alike. They both had their life paths chalked out and planned down to the last step. They had their life goals clearly defined and always kept them in sight. They were a great team and they played to win. Granted, Sid came from a more middle-class background as compared to her aristocratic origins, but that was part of the charm. He had been so willing to learn and mould himself to suit her tastes.  That was a huge part of the reason why she fell in love with him too. He did not see her as a filly whose spirit had to be broken. He was willing to give her free rein and the space to blossom as a successful human being and a professional. Most men were rather daunted by her sharp intellect and her drive but not Siddharth. He was just as hungry for success as she was. However, he was handicapped by his middle-class background while she was handicapped by her gender. When they came together, they had managed to overcome both their handicaps. Marriage to her gained him entry into the right social circles which was so important for a surgeon, even one as prodigiously talented as him. She, of course, could enjoy the benefits of marriage and a handsome companion, even while retaining her freedom to pursue her career single-mindedly.

To an outsider, it might seem like a business merger but the fact was she loved Siddharth very much. He had been a very good husband to her and a great son-in-law to her parents. Her father, one of the city's wealthiest entrepreneurs, relied on his advice on family matters too. Siddharth had a keen intelligence and business sense too, apart from his knowledge in the field of medicine. Her mother had been diagnosed with cancer and had not been given more than three months to live. That had been three years ago. The impossible had been achieved by Siddharth's diligent efforts and his networking with specialists across the globe to come up with alternative methods of treatment.

Siddharth was a very considerate and caring lover too. He was not the man to exercise his husbandly rights over her when she was not in the mood for it.  Their love life too was pretty much the same as the rest of their life. Planned carefully, controlled, precise and without too much of fuss. Kavita hated surprises and fuss and, to her luck, Siddharth was just the same.

Reason why, Kavita was taken aback when he had turned down her advances the week before. Lovemaking had always been a means to unwind at the end of a particularly stressful day. So, she had thought that intimacy might help him take his mind off whatever was bothering him. Never before had he turned her down. Nor for that matter had she. For two weeks or more now, he had not shown any inclination for it. Not that it bothered her too much, since her mind was full of a research paper that she was putting together for a national convention of nephrologists that was coming up in two weeks time. But now that it was done, she was ready to turn her attentions to her husband. She had been really glad when Siddharth had called and suggested going out for dinner. She had decided to pull out all the stops. She had worn his favourite green and pink brocade saree, the one he had gifted her for her birthday, emerald earrings and bracelet to match and had splashed herself with the perfume that seemed to excite him quite a bit.

She might have as well worn sackcloth and ashes for all the impact it had on him. He had hardly looked at her and had been toying with his food all evening, answering her questions in monosyllables.