Part 14

"A teardrop on the cheek of time!"

Sidharth looked at her questioningly.

"That is what Tagore called it, right?"

The words that he had read a long time ago came back to him, and brought with them a smile.

There they were, standing in front of possibly the world's most awe-inspiring monument to love, and Shehnaaz recalled the anguish that lay behind its creation. For, it must certainly have been anguish for a man to survive his beloved for two decades or more and painstakingly build her tomb, even though the world later called it a testimony to their love.  While, the world oohed and aahed over its architectural splendour, Shehnaaz heart melted for a man's broken heart. He could not help smiling again, thinking of the contrast this presented to the last time he was here.

"Why are you smiling?"

He shook his head, as if to indicate that it was nothing.

Shehnaaz looked at him curiously.

"Have you been here before?"

He looked into her eyes and gave a brief nod.

"This is my first time, you know. My schooling was mostly outside, So not even the mandatory school excursions!"

She hooked her arm with his and laid her head on his shoulder.

"I am so glad that I got to see it with you. It is a kind of bittersweet feeling. To be here with you in the midst of this almost living, breathing testament to romance and yet, to feel the pain of a broken heart"!

He dropped a kiss on her head and drew her even more tightly to his side.

"I have been here quite a few times before. In fact, the last time was with Kavita!"

There was an almost imperceptible stiffening before she relaxed again.

"Well, you've been married for over ten years. There are bound to be some good memories in there along with the bad!"

She smiled up at him.

He responded with a wry smile.

She bit her lip before asking,

"Was it during your honeymoon or something? Must have been romantic?"

He could not help the guffaw that escaped  his throat.

She looked at him, a trifle irritated.

"I know I sound the typical jealous nag.  Believe me, I did not want to ask!"

"That was not why I laughed!"

Shehnaaz looked at him curiously.

"It was not our honeymoon. It was a trip with college friends. So, we were in a group. And Kavita spent much of the time talking of Shah Jahan's alleged liason with his daughter Jahanara, post Mumtaz Begum's death!"

Shehnaaz looked horrified.

"But surely that must have been vile speculation!"

He shrugged his shoulders.

"Who knows? Maybe or maybe not! Jahanara was supposedly a replica of her mother. And the human mind can get really twisted when clouded with age and grief. But yes, it remains in the realm of speculation!"

Sidharth looked at Shehnaaz.

"What made me smile was the diametrically opposed reactions. While the monument made you recall a man's grief, it made her recollect speculation on 

his perversion. She effectively ruined the moment for me!"

Shehnaaz hugged him tight.

"Why should we think of perverse speculations when the man's love and grief are a palpable presence before us? Let us afford their love the dignity it deserves, at least here and now!"

Sidharth cupped her face in his hands.

"You are so beautiful, you know!"

She blushed in response before saying,

"That is almost sacrilegious ...to talk of my beauty while faced with the splendour of the Taj!"

"I was not talking of physical beauty. I was talking of the beauty of your heart and soul!"

Sidharth brushed his lips to the top of her head again.

They stood for a moment, arms locked around each other's waists, gazing at the architectural splendour that was yet such a poignant reminder of the anguish of lost love. In the fading light of the evening, it looked sadder still.

Sidharth felt the shiver that coursed through her slim frame.        

"Shall we leave?"

They turned away from the almost melancholy sight before them and walked away into the night that held the promise of the shared joy of being together.

Shehnaaz had not instantly acquiesced to his idea of living together. Her concern had been his reputation and social standing. The fool had not thought for a moment of her own reputation. Sidharth could not help wondering if such love was for real. He'd also wondered if he was worthy of the love and the woman. Well, if she thought he was, then he must be! Or at least, he had to try to be! Once he had her consent, things had moved at jet speed. Kushal's client had a furnished flat that lay vacant in the heart of the city. Although, he was not convinced of Sidharth decision, since he feared it might vitiate the legal proceedings, he realized that his friend's mind was made and that was that! Shehnaaz belongings were packed and shifted to the flat just before they left for Agra.