Part 11

Siddharth rotated his shoulders wearily. It has been a long and arduous but, thankfully, successful surgery. The patient had been a young man, possibly in his late twenties and newly married. He had been diagnosed with an intracranial solid neoplasm and required immediate surgical intervention. It had been a surgery sponsored by local Rotary club. Siddharth had waived off his fee on account of the patient's family circumstances. The man held a clerical post with a private firm and his wife was a sales assistant. They had married against the wishes of their respective families.

The wife had fallen at Siddharth's feet in gratitude on being told that the surgery was successful. Her words still rang in Siddharth's ears.

"Thank you for saving my life, Doctor saab...without him, I would have died too!"

It was not a dramatic statement but whispered with such sincerity and conviction that Siddharth had been shaken. He had sent a prayer up to God, thanking him for making his hands skilled enough to save a life. It was times like this when he felt good about himself and what he did. His life was worth living after all!

He switched on his mobile to inform Shehnaaz that he was delayed and would see her tomorrow. There were three missed calls from an unknown number. There was a message from the same number asking him to call back. It indicated that the sender.

Siddharth was confused. Wasn't Meethi  Shehnaaz's flatmate? Why was she messaging him? Was Shehnaaz unwell  or something?

A sense of foreboding overtook him and his palms became clammy with sweat.

'God, please let my Shehnaaz be fine. I can't take it if something were to happen to her.'

Siddharth hurriedly dialled the number and waited for the caller to pick up.

Meethi:"Hello...?"                                    
 Siddharth:" Hello ...this is Siddharth...what happened..?"

She cut in before he could even complete.

Meethi: "Why the bloody hell did you take so long to call?"

He was taken aback by the vehemence of her tone.

Siddharth: "Am sorry...I was in surgery!"

Meethi:"Wow...you go around saving lives after personally destroying one yourself!"

Siddharth:"What are you talking about?"

Meethi: "Shehnaaz's been taken to the Lucknow Chowk police station for interrogation...!"

Siddharth: "What?...what happened...was she in an accident or something...?"

Meethi: "Let me complete...the good news is yet to come...a complaint has been filed against her under the immoral trafficking act!"

Siddharth felt like somebody had punched him hard in the gut. He stumbled for a second before stabilizing himself with a hand against the wall.

Siddharth:"Meethi...what are you saying...is Shehnaaz okay...where are you...what...?"

Meethi: "I am with her...and I always will be,...the question is where are you, Dr Siddharth?"