Part 12

Siddharth:"Waiting up for me?"
Kavita looked up from the book she had been reading.
Kavita:"Not really...got engrossed reading this thriller...anything you want?"
Siddharth:"Not a thing really!"
Kavita was not sure if she should be pleased or sad. Had her sources been lying? Or was Siddharth unaware of what had happened?
Siddharth:"How was your evening?"
Kavita:"Quite wonderful!"
Kavita smiled nervously. She did not know what to make of him. In fact, the man before her seemed increasingly a stranger. Not the man she had loved and lived with for the last decade.
Siddharth:"Good to hear that!"...."Of course...I knew you'd feel good ..but am sure you must already be feeling on top of the world this evening!"
She looked at him quizzically!
Kavita:"Is there something I should know? Some reason for me to celebrate?"
Siddharth:"Don't know if there is...but there soon will be!"
Kavita:"What are you talking about?"
Siddharth:"Well, it is not every day that your estranged husband is arrested by the police?"
Kavita's eyes widened. Had he been there too when they had made the arrest? She hadn't been informed. What had the jokers done?
Kavita:"What are you saying? Why would you be arrested?"
Siddharth:"Did you not know that the law had been amended to include clients as well under PITA?"
Kavita:"Under what?"
Siddharth raised an eyebrow.
Siddharth:"I think you need to get a grip on legal terms too, Kavita...you're going to need it a lot in the future!"
Kavita:"What do you mean?"
Siddharth:"PITA is The Immoral Traffic Prevention Act...both offenders and their clients are liable to be charged under the act...so if Kavita is an offender, I am liable to be prosecuted too!"
Kavita:"What crap?"
Siddharth:"You're asking me...the stink is of your own making after all!"
Kavita got off the bed in agitation.
Kavita:"What are you accusing me of now?"
Siddharth:"Kavita...let's drop the pretence...we both know that you've gotten Shehnaaz picked up by the police for soliciting!"
Kavita:"I don't have a clue what you're talking about...why would I have anyone picked up...and for soliciting of all things...I am not low class enough to consort with such people or deal with such things!"
Siddharth:"Of course...you are so high class that you will get a girl thrown out of her job because your husband prefers her over you...!"
Kavita was taken aback at this frontal attack but recovered quickly.
Kavita:"Listen...if somebody got thrown out for incompetence, that is not my fault...and if they have been picked up by the police for soliciting...then they are probably cheap wh**es!"
She was prepared for another vase breaking. She was half expecting for it to.
Yet, he did nothing of that. He just looked at her so contemptuously, like a piece of crap that he found sticking under his shoe.
Siddharth:"Indeed...how right you are, Kavita...so yes, if she is indeed a cheap wh**e, then as her one and only client, that makes me her  partner in crime;...so in all fairness, I deserve to be interrogated and  punished too..!"
He turned on his back and strode to the door.
Just at the door, he turned back and threw at her.
Siddharth:"It would take me fifteen minutes to get to the station. I give you twenty minutes.  If she is not out of that station by then, I am walking in to surrender to the police myself. But before I do that, I am calling up all your Page 3 reporter friends and asking them to come along with their photographers, After all, it is not every day that the estranged husband of Dr Kavita is caught with his pants down in public!"
He opened the door and was about to walk out before stopping again.

Siddharth:"Be sure to order additional copies of the papers tomorrow. There will also be a scoop on how Dr Siddharth was once a remand home inmate..!"

He walked away, closing the door softly behind him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chotu:"Yeh lo!"
Shehnaaz took the glass of tea from the pubescent boy holding it out to her.
Shehnaaz:"Thank you so much!"
Chotu:"Matlab...tum padhe likhe ho...phir aise gande kaam kyun karte ho!"
She could feel  Kushal stiffen next to her. She put a hand on his arm.
Shehnaaz:"Zindagi kabhi kabhi humein aise mod pe laakar khada kar deti hai...naam kya hai tumhara?"
Chotu:"Shaam...par tum toh acche khaase ghar ke lag rahe ho..aur pade likhe bhi...phir kaunsi majboori aagayi...tumhare koi baap bhai nahi hai kya...tere dekhbaal karne ke liye?"
Shehnaaz:"Baap to hai...par doosre shehar mei rehte hain...bhai  nahin hai...par tumse kisne kaha ki baap bhai hi auraton ki dekhbal karte hain...kyun hum apne dekhbaal khud nahi karsakte hain kya?"
The boy was thoughtful.
Chotu:"Kar toh sakte hain...par yeh duniya zaalim hain na...meri Maa kehti hai ki duniya ek akeli aurat ko kabhi izzat se jeene nahi deti!"
Chotu:"Kya karti hai tumhari Maa...!"
Shehnaaz:"Kaam waali bai hain...mere baap ka maut hua jab mei dus saal ka ta...aur mere teen bhai behen aur hain..tab se main bhi kaam karne laga hoon...!"
Shehnaaz:"Tumhe padai nahi karni hai?"
Chotu:"Kya faida...tum toh pade likhe lag rahe ho,...aur dekho...tum kahan baiti ho...!"
Shehnaaz did not know how to respond to that one.
Shehnaaz:"Kabhi kabhi halat hamari saath nahi deti...par iska matlab yeh nahi ki hum saare ummeed chod dein...!"
The boy looks at her intently.
Chotu:"Mujhe nahi lagta hai tumne galti ki hai...!"
Shehnaaz was surprised.
Shehnaaz:"Aisa kyun!"
Chotu:"Tere aankhein bohot saaf hain...Meri Maa bolti hain ki agar hamari soch gandi hai toh woh humari aankhon mei saaf dikhayi deti hain...!"
Shehnaaz:"Bohot samajdaar hai teri Maa...!"
Chotu:"Woh toh hai hi...Meri Maa jo hai!"
The boy laughed self-consciously.
Inspector:"Arre Chotu...bhaag yahan se...nahi toh tum jaise bacchon ko bhi nahi chodenge aise auratein!"
The cop, who had been interrogating her, called out to the boy.
The boy gave him a derisive look before walking away.
Inspector:"So Madam, please do not flirt here with young boys...more cases will come against you!"
Shehnaaz:"So is flirting too a crime punishable under the Immoral Trafficking Act, Officer?"
Inspector:"So Madam, you don't teach us law!"
Shehnaaz:"What about me, Officer...I think we will soon meet in court where I will make sure you learn enough lessons on law to last a lifetime!"
Kushal spoke in silken tones, taking care not to raise his voice even as he issued a clear threat to the cop.
The cop glared at him before turning back to the records he had been looking at.
Kushal looked at Shehnaz encouragingly. She gave him a faint smile in return. She was worried for Meethi. She had simply refused to go home without Shehnaaz. Since she could not sit inside the station, she had called Abhinav and asked him to come over for support. Both of them were now waiting in the verandah outside the police station.
The phone on the cop's table rang.
He picked it up, suppressing a yawn with one hand.
Whoever was on the other side was clearly big enough to have him springing up from his seat.
Inspector:"Jee Sir...Namaste Sir...Good evening  Sir...yes Sir...!"
Kushal looked amused as he watched the guy's antics.
He had gotten so antsy that he was literally hopping from one foot to another.
Inspector:"Yes Sir...haan Sir...Okay Sir...immediately Sir...no Sir,,,,yes Sir...!"
Shehnaaz:"Three bags full, Sir!"
Kushal chuckled at Shehnaaz as she muttered words.
The man replaced the phone and walked towards where Kushal and Shehnaaz sat.
Inspector:"So you can go now!"
Kushal:"Really...how,,,,and why?"
Inspector:"So I don't have to give you reasons...please go...!"
Kushal:"But of course,...no reason for arrest...so no reason for release...right officer...I mean..So, officer?"
Inspector:"So please leave...now...immediately...please!"
Shehnaaz:"No officer...we want to see the complaint copy...we will wait till the superintendent comes back...!"
Kushal looked at Shehnaz in surprise.
Inspector:"So please go...I am telling you to leave...no complaint...no copy...superintendent will not come back...you please go!"
Shehnaaz:"What do you mean no complaint...why have you brought me here?"
The cop held his hands up in a plea.
Inspector:"So please help me...please go away now...please...!"
The man was practically begging now.
Kushal took hold of Shehnaaz's hand.
Kushal:"Let us go, Shehnaaz!"
Shehnaaz:"But ..."
Kushal:"I understand...but let it go for now...let us leave!"
Shehnaaz would have protested but Kushal's firm grip on her hand compelled her to go along with him.
As they stepped out of the inner roon, Meethi came running to Shehnaaz.
Meethi:"What happened?"
Shehnaaz:"I've been told to leave!"
Meethi:"Meaning?"
Shehnaaz:"Just that...no case...no charges...so I can leave!"
She hugged Shehnaaz hard and sobbed in relief.
Kushal turned to Abhinav.
"Since the women are occupied otherwise, we might as well exchange names ourselves...I am Abhinav, Shehnaaz's lawyer!"

"Dr Abhinav, Meethi's finace!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Siddharth:"Kavita...I thought you would have the good sense to listen...clearly you don't...no matter..the prison is not unfamiliar territory to me...so what if it was almost thirty years ago...!"
Kavita:"Siddharth...listen...I!"
Siddharth:"Time up, Kavita!"
He cut the call and started walking towards the police station.
He had hardly walked a few paces when he saw them all exiting the station,

He felt a grim sense of satisfaction. So the queen had been checkmated after all!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meethi:"Thank you, Kushalji...you managed to get her out of this!"
Kushal:"Actually I did not do a thing...mystery to me...why they picked her up and why they let her go!"
Meethi:"I don't think the picking up part is much of a mystery...!"
She spoke with such contempt in her voice.
Shehnaaz:"stop it!"
Meethi:"Why should I...why should I...he alone is responsible for all of this...!"
Shehnaaz:"Meethi...stop blaming him...that is not fair!"
Meethi:"Is it fair that you have been labelled a s**t...is it fair that you have had to spend half a night at the police station...while he is at home with his wife?"
Shehnaaz looked at Kushal apologetically. Kushal's gaze was fixed at a point ahead.
Kushal:"Sid...you are here...?"
All of them looked towards where Siddharth was standing with arms folded across his waist.
They stopped in their tracks and waited as Siddharth h began walking towards them.
He had eyes for no one else but Shehnaaz though.
Shehnaaz's lower lip trembled. She was not surprised. She knew he would be here. She knew he would be waiting.
He stopped a few paces away from them. Shehnaaz felt her feet moving towards him of their own volition. All she wanted was to bury herself in the blessed warmth of his arms. She wanted to forget the shame and humiliation of the night and soak herself in the bliss of their love.
Meethi was quicker than her though.
She walked straight up to Siddharth and slapped him hard.