Part 8

"Why this sudden desire, Kavita?"

Kavita was taken aback. This was the last thing that she'd expected. She'd thought his eyes would widen in delight and he would thank her profusely before proceeding to end the drought between them.
Siddharth's behaviour last night had stunned her. She had never expected him to get so angry or be so aggressive. She had hoped that he would rush home to placate her and assure her that it was all just a silly misunderstanding.  The girl meant nothing to him, that she was just another intern and that he had danced with her purely out of courtesy. She thought her leaving the party midway would send a strong signal of disapproval, enough for him to realize what was at stake. Instead, the tables had been turned on her. He had not been in the least penitent and, worse still, had frightened her out of her wits with his rage. She had never known that Siddharth was capable of such loss of control. She had been unnerved into silence and spent the rest of the night in introspection. She knew things were not as simple as she had assumed them to be. There was something amiss, something that needed to be addressed immediately before things got out of hand. Her woman's intuition was hoisting a red flag indicating the high level of danger. However, challenges brought out the best in Kavita and this was no ordinary challenge. This was about her marriage, something she had invested a decade worth of time and effort in. She was not going to let some silly little upstart spoil things for her. She would nip whatever was blooming between them in the bud before it got a chance to assume threatening proportions.

All it had taken was a breakfast meeting with the Chairman and his wife. The girl was taken care of. She would no longer be around to poach on Kavita's territory. Now, all that had to be dealt with was Siddharth. Kavita knew that the big guns had to be drawn out for him. In the ten years of their marriage, he had never spoken to her or spurned her the way he had in the last month.

Kavita's mother had been after her to have a baby for a while now. Ever since she knew she was dying, it had become her single point agenda. Kavita had successfully kept her at bay for long now, But maybe a baby was not a bad idea. Her mother would be happy and so would her husband. Peace would be restored and her marriage would be back on track. The thought pleased her and her mind started racing ahead, making plans. She needed to woo her husband and woo him big time.

She had cancelled her afternoon appointments to the shock and dismay of her secretary. This would throw her entire schedule out of gear but that could not be avoided. She had then rushed out to her favourite boutique, picked up super sexy lingerie, gone along to the home store to pick up scented candles. Not to forget a bottle of the finest champagne. The stage was set for seduction!

After all this, instead of plunging headlong into lovemaking, her husband was asking her for answers!

"Siddharth, I know that I was the one who refused to have children. I know you secretly long for a kid but you have respected my wishes and remained silent. I have been unfair to you and denied you your wishes. Not anymore! We have earned enough professional success. Wealth has never been an issue. I am due to inherit half of Papa's wealth not to forget all the money we have earned between us. Now, I think all our marriage needs to make it complete is a baby. Come on now, we have wasted enough time."

She slid down on the sofa and pressed her body against his sensuously, throwing her arms around his neck and trying to take his mouth with hers.

He resisted her efforts and moved back.

"Kavita...I am sorry...but I don't think I want a baby!"