The Last Month

Today's  animation is by bozo🤎 on youtube!! Go check them out, they have some other cool encanto animatics!! I LOVE this so much, the song fits the situation PERFECTLY and the scenes they drew make it so sad!!

BACK TO THE STORY

The velvety, deep voice that spoke did not belong to Mirabel.

And to your horror, Mirabel's head lolled to the side, her hollow, glowing eyes staring directly at  you. In the evening light, they glinted like toxic fireflies. 

"(Y/n)," Mirabel's possessor rumbled your name: a threatening sound, like advancing thunder. Those eyes. They were chillingly blank, yet they pierced you with an uncanny intelligence. Hornet eyes. 

They seemed to project invisible fingers that curled down your throat, tightening around your heart. They held no amusement. No menace. Like an unmerciful god, they regarded you with cold judgement, as if gazing into every dark, ugly part that you wished no one would ever see. In that stare, you felt criminal, you felt filthy, you felt shameful. 

"Yes," you responded, but a breath of timidity poisoned the word. You planted your feet, refusing to step back. He can't hurt me. Not in Mirabel's body. 

"You're not here," the voice whispered it like a condemnation. "You're not by the river."

"I suppose I'm not," you evenly said, crossing your arms. When Pepa frowned questioningly, you slowly explained, "He wanted me to betray you. To steal the moonstone key to free him and his powers." 

"You should have known better. She's with us now," Camilo called, tilting his chin up. You hadn't heard him and Antonio approach. As they softly melted into the ranks of gathered Madrigals, you felt a surge of united security. The family was together. Their support swelled confidence in your chest. 

Mirabel's body shuddered, the neon glow flickering in her veins. You'd seen that kind of dying tremor before, in the magic of the Madrigal doors just before they crumbled. Mirabel twisted on her side in pain, coughing out a wet gagging noise. 

"What are you doing to Mirabel?" You demanded, longing to run to her side but repulsed by the dissociated eyes. "I thought you didn't know what the suns were, Monsieur Gothel!

"I know now," Gothel's voice cackled, crinkling Mirabel's eyes with cold humor. "Since I figured it out, her condition has proved quite useful. Now, shall we negotiate?" 

"About what?" Julieta sharply enunciated the two words with more anger than you'd believed she could possess. "Get out of my daughter!" 

"Your daughter is exactly what we will negotiate," Gothel sneered. "Bring me the keys. I will release Mirabel and leave your Encanto." 

"Why should we trust you?" Pepa shouted, glaring at Mirabel's body with green-ringed fire. If Gothel hadn't been hiding underneath her niece's body, her rigid posture suggested that she would have kicked him. 

"Because lying doesn't look good on me," he said, "and because your miracle isn't the only one out there to steal." 

"What do you mean?" Augustin demanded, sharply staring at Mirabel. "There are other miracles? More than (y/n)'s mountain Encanto and ours?"

"Oh, yes. I'll tell (y/n) all about that," Mirabel's eyes rolled toward you with forced effort on Gothel's part. His magical grip on Mirabel was fading. The irritated, swollen sun designs sloppily sunk down, deep into her skin. "She will meet me by the river in exactly one month's time. When the moon is full and Mirabel..." his last words choked out, barely audible. "is running out of time." 

"What do you mean when she's running out of time?" Pepa flared, dropping down to shake Mirabel's shoulders. "Are you killing her?" But it was too late. A foamy-mouthed smile hung on Mirabel's mouth like evil hangs on the black wings of fallen angels. And then he was gone. 

Mirabel coughed, collapsing into feverish chills and whimpers. The sun designs had faded, but they still infected her. They would return. And with them, Gothel. 

"So what do we do now?" Augustin helplessly whispered, his strong hands wrapped around his daughter's shoulders. The Madrigals dropped into a semicircle, crouched around Mirabel as blue darkness crept over Casita's rubble. 

"We rebuild Casita. We strengthen our family," Julieta said, her eyes determined and her mouth pressed in a tight, thin line. The Madrigal family turned to her with tired eyes, clinging onto her words. 

"We have one month to decide."