5. Bilbo's Farewell

Under the party tree, the other Hobbits are gathered. "Speech, Bilbo! Speech!" several hobbits cheer, "Speech!" Frodo also cheering for his uncle to give a speech, climbing onto a little box, Bilbo started, "My dear Bagginses and Boffins, Tooks and Brandybucks, Grubbs, Chubbs, Hornblowers, Bolgers, Bracegirdles and Proudfoots." hobbits cheer for their names, while one shouts out, "Proudfeet!"

Hobbits laugh and Bilbo waves dismissively. "Today is my one hundred and eleventh birthday!" Bilbo cheers and cups and mugs are hoisted up, as birthday wishes are given en-mass. "Alas, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable hobbits." cheers abound. "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

There is a dead silence from the crowd. They gaze at each other blank-faced, trying to figure out if they were just insulted. Gandalf smiles. "I, uh, I h-have things to do." he says as he fidgets with the Ring behind his back. Then whispers to himself, "I've put this off for far too long." he then looks up to look at everyone, "I regret to announce — this is The End. I am going now. I bid you all a very fond farewell." looking to Frodo he whispers, "Goodbye."

Bilbo puts the Ring on and vanishes. "Ooh!" hobbits gasp and Frodo and Gandalf are both startled and shocked. 

***

The sound of Bilbo's footsteps lead the way as the owner heads for home. At Bag End, the front door opens and then shuts again, as if by magic. Inside the hall, Bilbo re-appears. "Hahahahaha!" he laughs as he flips the ring, catching it and putting it in his pocket. Gandalf appears in the parlour, "I suppose you think that was terribly clever." he says startling the old hobbit. 

"Come on Gandalf! Did you see their faces?" Bilbo argues as he moves around packing things, "There are many magic rings in this world, Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly." Gandalf says, "It was just a bit of fun! Oh you're probably right, as usual. You will keep an eye on Frodo, won't you?" he asks as he rolls up clothing and maps and food for the road, "Two eyes — as often as I can spare them." Gandalf says as he follows 
Bilbo through the house, 

"I'm leaving everything to him." He starts to pack more items into his travel pack. "What about this ring of yours, is that staying too?" Gandalf asks, "Yes, yes. It's in an envelope over there on the mantelpiece." Bilbo says quickly but as Gandalf goes to look Bilbo adds, "No, wait, it's — here in my pocket." he then pulls it out, "Heh, isn't that, isn't that odd though? Yet, after all why not? Why shouldn't I keep it?" Bilbo says looking at it in his hand, 

"I think you should leave the ring behind, Bilbo. Is that so hard?" Gandalf says trying to help the old hobbit. "Well no... and yes!" he says looked back between the ring and Gandalf. "Now it comes to it, I don't feel like parting with it, its mine, I found it, it came to me!" he says starting to get very angry. "There's no need to get angry." Gandalf says which makes it worse, he should have remembered what happens when you tell people to not get angry,

Rynnyl was a good example of it, her temper is dangerous. "Well, if I'm angry, it's your fault!" Bilbo snaps while he caresses the ring, "It's mine! My own, my precious." he purrs down at it. "Precious? Its been called that before, but not by you." Gandalf states knowing exactly where Bilbo had gotten it now. "Argh! What business is it of yours what I do with my own things!" the hobbit snapped darkly, 

"I think you've had that Ring quite long enough." Gandalf says standing straight and very angry parent like. Bilbo is almost unable to speak he's getting so protective and mad, "You — want it for yourself!" Gandalf looses it, "Bilbo Baggins!" he snaps as the very air seems to shake as Gandalf draws himself up to full height. His voice thunders throughout Bag End. Bilbo cowers away from the tall wizard. 

"Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks. I am not trying to rob you. I'm trying to help you." Bilbo starts weeping. He stumbles towards Gandalf, who embraces him gently. "All your long years we've been friends. Trust me as you once did, hmm? Let it go." Gandalf says soothingly, "What would Rynnyl do, hmm?" Gandalf adds knowing how much the hobbit looked up to their once shared traveling companion.

"You're right Gandalf, the Ring must go to Frodo. Rynnyl would be mad I'm acting like such a child," he says and Gandalf nods. Shrugging on his things Bilbo is at the door, "It's late, the road is long." he states about to leave, "Yes, it is time." Bilbo opens the door. "Bilbo..." Gandalf calls following him, "Hmm?" Bilbo hums confusingly, "The Ring is still in your pocket." Gandalf says and Bilbo chuckles sheepishly "Oh, yes..."

Bilbo pulls out the Ring from his pocket. He stares at it on his palm, then slowly allows it to slip off his palm. It lands on the floor with a heavy thud. Bilbo runs out the door, goes a few paces, then stops and lifts his head. He looks relieved. An owl hoots. "I've thought up an ending for my book." he says as he turns to Gandalf at the door, "'And he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days.'"

"And I'm sure you will my dear friend." Gandalf says with his hand on Bilbo's shoulder, "Good bye, Gandalf." Bilbo says, "Good bye, dear Bilbo." Gandalf says back, as their hands clasp. Bilbo goes out by the gate, and starts down the road, singing. "The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began..." Gandalf smiles after him, "Until our next meeting." Gandalf re-enters Bag End. 

His hand hovers over the Ring, about to pick it up, but stops short when the Eye of Sauron flashes in his mind. Gandalf rises and sits himself by the fireplace. Gandalf ponders Bilbo's words, "Its mine, my own, my precious!" and other things that are finally piecing together, "Riddles in the Dark." The smoke from Gandalf's pipe drifts up, obscuring his face. Frodo is heard entering Bag End.

"Bilbo! Bilbo!" Frodo opens the door and sees the Ring on the floor. He stoops to pick it up. "My precious." Gandalf mutters as Frodo notices Gandalf smoking by the fireplace, approaches him. "Precious..." he mumbles again, "He's gone hasn't he? He talked for so long about leaving. I didn't think he'd really do it." Frodo says as he stands near Gandalf, who is very deep in thought. "Gandalf?" Frodo calls again.

"Hmm?" Gandalf smiles at Frodo, noticing the Ring in Frodo's hand. "Bilbo's ring. He's gone to stay with the Elves. He's left you Bag End..." He holds envelope open, Frodo slips in the Ring, and Gandalf seals the envelope. "...along with all his possessions. The ring is yours now. Put it somewhere out of sight." Gandalf gets up to leave, collecting his hat and staff. Frodo calls as he chases Gandalf through the house, 

"Where are you going?" Frodo calls not wanting to loose Gandalf as well, "There are some things that I must see to." Gandalf informs, "What things?" Frodo probes, "Questions. Questions that need answering." Gandalf informs, "But you've only just arrived! I don't understand." Frodo states, Gandalf stops his hurried exit and looks back at Frodo. "Neither do I." Gandalf says honestly, "Keep it secret. Keep it safe." Gandalf leaves Bag End. 

Frodo looks at the envelope in his hand.