26. The Mirror of Galadriel

Most of the Fellowship is asleep. Thilia sits up against one of the tree roots with her sword propped up against her chest and shoulder, her eyes are closed and she's relaxing but she's still awake. Boromir lays next to her, he's finally asleep but the slightest touch would wake him. A glowing figure in a flowing dress walks by them and Thilia's eyes creep open as she watches Galadriel walk by. Frodo wakes up with a start. Galadriel glides past him. 

Thilia watches as Frodo gets up and follows the elf lady. Thilia waits till they're both out of sight before getting up herself and following. Galadriel descends to a glade and fills a silver pitcher with water from a stream. She stands before an ornate stand with a shallow silver basin upon it. Thilia stops just outside of the small area and keeps her ear on the situation. The Lady turns towards Frodo. "Will you look into the mirror?" she asks and he with taught caution asks back, 

"What will I see?" Thilia hears Galadriel stepping up to the basin as she speaks, "Even the wisest cannot tell. For the mirror... shows many things..." The echo of water pouring illustrates for Thilia what Galadriel's doing as she begins to pour the water into the silver mirror. "...things that were... things that are... and some things..." She empties the ewer and steps back, "that have not yet come to pass."

Frodo steps up onto a low platform below the mirror to take a look. He peers down and sees nothing but his reflection. Then the mirror clears and shows a vision of Legolas, Merry and Pippin and Sam from the platform in the woods. Then the Green Dragon Inn appears in the ripples. Suddenly, fires belch up, flaming from windows and doors. Orcs lash whips. Frodo gasps, his eyes wide.

Beneath grey skies and dark hills shouldered with machinery and industry, a line of Hobbits, including Samwise, is driven into a mill to work by slave-masterly Orcs. Thilia is in chains roaring in her dragon form and being corralled by orcs trying to sub-do her. The Eye of Sauron then fills the mirror. The Ring hanging from Frodo's neck pulls him closer to the water. Steam begins to curl up from the basin as Sauron speaks to Frodo. 

Frodo grabs the Ring and jerks back, throwing himself off the step and landing on the grass. Thilia fights to keep hidden, "I know what it is you saw, for it is also in my mind." Her voice echoes in Frodo's head] "It is what will come to pass if you should fail. The Fellowship is breaking: it is already begun. He will try to take the Ring. You know of whom I speak. One by one, it will destroy them all."

Frodo answered her very softly, "If you ask it of me, I will give you the One Ring." Opening his palm, he offers the Ring to her. She was surprised and moved towards him slowly. "You offer it to me freely. I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this." Thilia is very much on edge right now but she's intent on waiting till she absolutely needs to. She approaches Frodo and places her hand over the Ring, her hand quivering. Her appearance begins to change. 

She towers over Frodo, her cloak running ragged in a wind, her eyes like dark hollows, arms flung high. "In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen!" She now wears a breastplate; her hair billows around her. As though underwater, the glade becomes murky and green. "Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea!" Frodo backs away in fright. This does not sit well with Thilia, 

"Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me, and despair!" Galadriel says her voice duel toned and barely controlled, Thilia rushes down the stairs and envelops Frodo as she glares at the elf witch, her throat glowing with unreleased fire as it glows at the back of her mouth bubbling to come up, she hisses at the witch, "Control yourself." she commands and the great murky light fades and Galadriel lets her arms slowly fall,

Her transformed image disappearing. Breathing heavily, she speaks to herself. Thilia turns to Frodo and checks him over from his fall, he holds her arm with his free hand as he tells her he's fine physically, "I pass the test! I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel." She begins to turn away. "I cannot do this alone." Frodo says to her, Galadriel turns back. "You are a Ring bearer, Frodo. To bear a Ring of power is to be alone." she tells him,

As Galadriel lifts her hand up. A ring adorns her finger. "This is Nenya, the Ring of Adamant, and I am its Keeper. This task was appointed to you, and if you do not find a way, no one will. Besides you are not truly alone," she said looking to Thilia who stood tall with her arms crossed over her chest, listening but not really. "Then I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it." Galadriel bends down to meet him at eye level.

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." she says before retiring for the night, "Come along, it's time you rest for the night," Thilia says as she holds her arm out for him to move ahead of her.