15. The Strength of Men

(A/N: All the dates for births and deaths are pushed back, making everyone much older by the year 2941. Rynnyl was born 60 years before the attack of Smaug [which still happened in T.A. 2770], and Thilia was five at the time of it while Dramir was born a year before the attack. During the quest to reclaim Erabor, Thilia and Dramir are around 156/151, they stayed in the blue mountains or at least Dramir did. 

Thilia travelled the human cities and kingdoms. Rynnyl during the quest to reclaim Erebor is 231. As the amount of years that passed is 171 since Smaug claimed the Lonely Mountain. By the time the Fellowship comes around, Thilia and Dramir are just reaching 200 and 195. I found that trying to do the math made my brain hurt.)

***

Gandalf and Elrond watch Frodo and Sam from the balcony in Elrond's study. "His strength returns." Elrond mused. "That wound will never fully heal. He will carry it the rest of his life." Gandalf said as he could sense the wound, "And yet to have come so far, still bearing the Ring, the hobbit has shown extraordinary resilience to its evil." Elrond says, "It is a burden he should never have had to bear. We can ask no more of Frodo." Gandalf says wanting the hobbit safe.

"Gandalf, the enemy is moving. Sauron's forces are massing in the east — his eye is fixed on Rivendell. And Saruman you tell me has betrayed us. Our list of allies grows thin." Elrond says with a stern look, "His treachery runs deeper than you know. By foul craft Saruman has crossed Orcs with goblin-men, he's breeding an army in the caverns of Isengard. An army that can move in sunlight and cover great distance at speed. Saruman is coming for the Ring." Gandalf says.

"This evil cannot be concealed by the power of the Elves. We do not have the strength to fight both Mordor and Isengard!" Elrond says sharply as Gandalf moves away, deep in thought. "Gandalf, the Ring cannot stay here." Elrond said firmly. Gandalf stands at Elrond's window, looks out and sees a group of new arrivals in the garden. A man in Gondorian travel garbs, a Blonde Elf and his companions,

Then a party of Dwarves, the leader is taller than them with long black hair braided and decorated, his beard is short and well groomed, he's dressed in noble garbs clearly made by dwarves, after they all dismount and stare around in wonder they are lead to rooms for the night. "This peril belongs to all Middle-Earth. They must decide now how to end it. The time of the Elves is over — my people are leaving these shores." Elrond states,

"Who will you look to when we've gone? The Dwarves? They are still being helped by Rynnyl but she is pregnant she can't do much more than she's already done. Asking more from her will cause complications. Her son takes the throne after Thorin and her eldest daughter wants nothing to do with the responsibility of ruling anything." Elrond states knowing all thing from speaking with Rynnyl, himself.

"It is in Men that we must place our hope." Gandalf says countering Elrond because he knows that he'll help them rise to this occasion. "Men? Men are weak." Elrond says as he wanders through his house as Gandalf follows. It is a beautiful house, full of wooden paneling and ancient statues and artifacts. "The race of Men is failing. The blood of Númenor is all but spent, its pride and dignity forgotten. It is because of Men the Ring survives." he says bitterly.

"I was there Gandalf. I was there three thousand years ago..." Elrond explained. telling Gandalf what had happened after the first fall of Sauron. "... when Isildur took the Ring. I was there the day the strength of Men failed." he'd explained how he'd led Isildur into the mountain and told the young prince to cast the ring into the fire, and went on to tell Gandalf that he refused. How he'd called to the Prince but was ignored.

"It should've ended that day, but evil was allowed to endure. Isildur kept the Ring. The line of kings is broken. There is no strength left in the world of Men. They're scattered, divided, leaderless." Elrond finished. "There is one who could unite them, one who could reclaim the throne of Gondor." Elrond frowned. "He turned from that path long time ago. He has chosen exile." Elrond said.