28. Farewell to Lórien

An elegant ship, carved in the likeness of a swan, flows through a river. Galadriel stands in it. On shore, cloaks are fastened around the Fellowship with green, silver-veined leaf-brooches. Thilia refuses the one offered to her as she trusts her own ability to hide and just watches the others get their own. "Never before have we clad strangers in the garb of our own people. May these cloaks help shield you from unfriendly eyes." Celeborn says as he oversees.

Elves prepare for the departure of the Fellowship. Legolas is among them, shifting parcels into a set of boats provided by the Galadhrim he finds the food rations. He holds up a thin wafer for Merry and Pippin to see, as they sit in a boat. "Lembas! Elvish Way-bread. One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man." he says after taking a small bite. Packing it back up he steps back up onto shore, leaving the Hobbits by themselves.

Merry shifts closer to Pippin, "How many did you eat?" "Four." he says as Merry nods and picks his teeth, only to stop when Pippin farts, Thilia was nearby loading as well and was hit by the smell, "Oh! what the devil! she groans as she covers her nose and mouth and waving her hand in front of her face, "I though dwarves were bad!" she groaned before moving away from the smell. She catches up to Aragorn and Celeborn,

"Every league you travel south, the danger will increase. Mordor Orcs now hold the eastern shore of the Anduin." he tells them. As the Elf Lord speaks, the Fellowship climb into the boats. Legolas helps Gimli onboard. Sam tries to steady himself. Meanwhile, Thilia, Aragorn and Celeborn wander through the heavy mist and sunlight. Thilia adjusts her forearm guards and tests her healed arm and wing, 

It's still sore but better than before. "Nor will you find safety on the western bank. Strange creatures bearing the mark of the White Hand have been seen on our borders. Seldom do Orcs journey in the open, under the sun, yet these have done so!" he warns and the two co-leaders feel the worry in the elf lord's tone, the three pause, and Aragorn looks down. Celeborn holds an ornate dagger before him. Aragorn takes it, and unsheathes it; its blade glints.

"Le aphadar aen." (You are being tracked.) Celeborn says and Thilia turns her head slightly, "So that was the strange scent I was getting," she says and Celeborn looks at her as Aragorn sheathes the dagger. "Lady Galadriel tells me that someone of great power is looking for you, keep an eye open for that, Princess Thilia," Celeborn says and Thilia frowns, for one she doesn't like being addressed that way and second she's confused,

But he returns to the main topic, "By river you have the chance of outrunning the enemy to the Falls of Rauros." he says and the two co-leaders nod. A paddle splashes into the water. The Fellowship rows through the river, past the Elves onshore. The sun is reaching its rosy fingers over the hills; Caras Galadhon rises far away, in the mists. Voices sing with the rising dawn:

"Ai! laurië lantar lassi súrien, Yéni úntimë ve rámar aldaron! yéni ve lintë yuldar avánier mi oromardi lisse-miruvóreva Andúnë pella Vardo tellumar nu luini yassen tintilar i eleni..." (Alas! Like gold fall the leaves in the wind, long years numberless as the wings of the trees! The long years have passed like swift draughts of the sweet mead in lofty halls beyond the West, beneath the vaults of Varda wherein the stars tremble in the song of her voice...)

The voices continue. A song of the sorrow of the Elves, of Lothló rien. As the boats move further downstream, Legolas's eyes stare distantly. He smiles, remembering. "My gift for you, Legolas, is a bow of the Galadhrim, worthy of the skill of our woodland kin." Galadriel smiles as Legolas admires and tests the bow, she then turns to Merry and Pippin. "These are the daggers of the Noldorin. They have already seen service in war." she says as the weapons are given.

Galadriel then senses Pippin's worries, "Do not fear, young Peregrin Took. You will find your courage." The Hobbits remember the meeting as they sail downriver. Sam also recalls the Lady's gift to him. "And for you, Samwise Gamgee: Elven rope, made of hithlain."  Sam takes the gift but is envious of Merry and Pippin, "Thank you, my lady." He looks sidelong at the blades held by Merry and Pippin, then looks up hopefully. "Have you run out of those nice, shiny daggers?"

The Lady of the Galadhrim smiles, and turns to the next Fellowship member in line. It is Gimli, who diverts his eyes downwards. Galadriel speaks, her golden hair shining beneath the poignant blues and whites and greens of the forest. "And what gift would a Dwarf ask of the Elves?" she asks. Gimli grunts a quick, "Nothing." but a change comes over him; he looks up, "Except to look upon the Lady of the Galadhrim one last time, for she is more fair than all the jewels beneath the earth." Galadriel giggles, smiling at the Dwarf. 

He turns to walk away, then halts and turns back. "Actually, there was one thing — ah, agh, that's quite impossible. Stupid to ask." he says stuttering and muttering, Gimli sits in his boat with Legolas and Thilia, a far away look in his eyes, a faint smile upon his face. From another boat, Aragorn glances towards them, then away. He too is remembering the farewell on the shores of Lothlorien. Galadriel stands before Aragorn and places her hand on Arwen's Evenstar pendant.

"I have nothing greater to give, than the gift you already bear. Am meleth dîn. I ant e-guil Arwen Undómiel...pelitha." (For her love, I fear the grace of Arwen Evenstar... will diminish.) The two share a sorrow in their eyes. "Aníron i e broniatha ar periatham amar hen. Aníron e ciratha a Valannor." (I would have her leave these shores, and be with her people. I would have her take the ship to Valinor.) he says and she's quick to respond.

"That choice is yet before her. You have your own choice to make, Aragorn... to rise above the height of all your fathers since the days of Elendil, or to fall into darkness... with all that is left of your kin." There is silence for a moment. Branches shake, a spider web's glimmering strands sway in the wind. Galadriel glances at the pendant, and smiles. "Namárië. Nadath nâ i moe cerich." (Farewell. There is much you have yet to do.) she says.

"Dan...ú-'eveditham, Elessar." (We shall not meet again, Elessar.) Thilia's goodbye with the Lady is more cryptic than anything else, "Celeborn may have already said this but I want you to know that the one looking for you will help you in your moment of need, do not stub their offer, let them help for someone's life may be in need for it." she said. Thilia could feel the seriousness of the warning and nodded. 

Frodo sits in his boat with Sam and Aragorn. He hears the echo of her voice in his mind. Galadriel hands him a crystalline vessel shaped like a teardrop, filling with a clear water and a shining light. "Farewell, Frodo Baggins. I give you the light of Eärendil, our most beloved star." She kisses him on the forehead. Back in the boat, Frodo looks at the glass in his hand, and glances up at the shore. Galadriel stands there, her right arm upraised. 

She speaks to him, silently, as he passes by. "May it be a light for you, in dark places, when all other lights go out." The Fellowship sails out onto the river and leaves Lórien behind. White mountains rise starkly beneath blue skies and green trees. In the boats, Gimli talks to Legolas. "I have taken my worst wound at this parting, having looked my last upon that which is fairest. Haugh, henceforth I will call nothing fair unless it be her gift to me." Gimli says,

"What was it?" the blonde elf asks, "I asked her for one hair from her golden head. She gave me three." Gimli says and Thilia and Legolas smile. Thilia looks back to Boromir and finds him a bit behind her boat and waves which elects a wave back, and a smile.