25. Caras Galadhon

The Fellowship climb a winding way among the great trees. They ascend the path until night falls. In the blue glow of a moonlit night, the Fellowship climbs a twisting stair about the trunk of a tree, past glimmering lights of silver and blue. Far above, the silhouetted shapes of the shadowy tree-branches loom. Passing numerous platforms, they come to a great palace in the trees, lit with silvery lights. 

A curving walkway lies before them, leading up a low stair to an archway. They gather before the arch as Haldir steps to one side, Boromir shifted Thilia closer to himself as he still supported her good side. A glowing couple, hand in hand, descend to meet the Fellowship. The Fellowship stares in awe. Aragorn touches his head in greeting. The light dims, and before the Fellowship the Lord and Lady, Galadriel and Celeborn, halt. 

The Lady's eyes focus on Frodo, but Celeborn speaks. "The Enemy knows you have entered here. What hope you had in secrecy is now gone. Nine there are here, yet ten there were, set out from Rivendell. Tell me, where is Gandalf?" As he speaks, Galadriel's eyes flicker to Thilia and Aragorn's, who both look up. "For I much desire to speak with him... I can no longer see him from afar." Celeborn adds.

"Gandalf the Grey did not pass the borders of this land. He has fallen into shadow." Galadriel says and Aragorn nods slightly. Celeborn turns to Galadriel. "He was taken by both Shadow and Flame: a Balrog of Morgoth. For we went needlessly into the net of Moria." Legolas says as he sets his hand on his sister's shoulder keeping his hand as light and careful as possible. Gimli bows his head sadly.

"Needless were none of the deeds of Gandalf in life. We do not yet know his whole purpose. Do not let the great emptiness of Khazad-dûm fill your heart, Gimli, son of Glóin." The Dwarf looks up as she continues, "For the world has grown full of peril. And in all lands, love is now mingled with grief." Boromir turns his pained face to the Lady, blinking and swallowing hard, Thilia can feel his sadness. "Boromir?" she calls softly, her hand squeezing his over his shoulder. 

He hugged into Thilia as Galadriel's look becomes more intense. Boromir is weeping into Thilia's shoulder and Thilia is getting very angry, curling her lip and flashing some fangs got Galadriel to move on. "What now becomes of this Fellowship? Without Gandalf, hope is lost." Celeborn said as he looked everyone over. "The quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail to the ruin of all." Galadriel said trying to sound wise and all knowing. 

Boromir looks back up at her, unsure. Thilia rolls her eyes and tries to keep the annoyed and irritated looks and sounds to an absolute minimum. "Yet hope remains while the company is true." Galadriel looks at Sam and smiles. "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Go now and rest for you are weary with sorrow and much toil. Tonight you will sleep in peace, our healers will see to your wounded." she added as her eyes passed over Thilia.

Her eyes then land on Frodo and Thilia can feel her power seeping into the tired and scared Hobbit. Annoyed with this elf, Thilia uses her tail to pull Frodo along with her and Boromir as he leads her to where an elf said would be the healing chambers. He looks up at Thilia thankful for her interference with the ancient elf lady. 

***

Back on the ground, the Hobbits are settling down to rest. Elf song can be heard. "A Olórin i yaresse, Mentaner i Numeherui Tírien i Rómenóri" (Olórin who once was, Sent by the Lords of the West, To guard the Lands of the East) "Melme nóren sina núra ala Eäro" (Our love for this land, Is deeper than the deeps, Of the sea) "A lament for Gandalf." Legolas says as he listens to the song, 

Aragorn sharpens his sword as Gimli sleeps beside him. "What do they say about him?" Merry asks the blonde elf, "I have not the heart to tell you. For me the grief is still too near." he says and its understandable to everyone that each member had some form of friendship with the wizard. "Maiaron i Oiosaila, Manan elye etevanne Nórie i malanelye?" (Wisest of all Maiar, What drove you to leave, That which you loved?)

"Ilfirin nairelma ullume nucuvalme. Nauva i nauva." (Yet we will cast all away Rather that submit. What should be shall be.) Sam crouches down to make his bed. Sam looks to Merry as he says, "I bet they don't mention his fireworks. There should be a verse about them." Sam stands up. "The finest rockets ever seen, They burst in stars of blue and green..." Gimli snores loudly interrupting the Hobbit's lament. 

"Or after thunder... silver showers..." Aragorn turns, annoyed, and swats the Dwarf's pillow, eliciting a grunt from Gimli. "Came falling like a... rain of flowers..." Defeated, he squats down again. "Oh, that doesn't do them justice by a long road." he says and Frodo, who return with Boromir while Thilia is treated, gave Sam a soft smile. Aragorn walks over to Boromir, who is seated alone on a great tree root.

"Ú-reniathach i amar galen I reniad lín ne môr, nuithannen." (No more will you wander The green fields of this earth Your journey has ended in darkness.) "Take some rest. These borders are well protected." Aragorn says and Boromir shook his head, "I will find no rest here. I heard her voice inside my head. She spoke of my father and the fall of Gondor. She said to me, 'Even now, there is hope left.' But I cannot see it. It is long since we had any hope."

Aragorn sits beside Boromir. "My father is a noble man, but his rule is failing. And now our... our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right and I — I would do it. I would see the glory of Gondor restored." he starts, "Have you ever seen it Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver. Its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?"

"I have seen the White City, long ago." Aragorn says softly as he can easily pull up the memory from Boromir's description. "One day, I will bring her there and show her our home, our paths will lead us there. And the tower guard shall take up the call: "'The Lords of Gondor have returned!'" Aragorn smiles slightly, then looks away.

***

Thilia did not like being treated by the Lady of Light, her constant harassment of the members of the party irked Thilia. "I can tell that you don't like us," she said as she pulled the bindings off, "It's bold of you to assume anything about me." Thilia said back, "I like elves, my stepfather is one, I only don't like you," she added. The lady smiled knowingly about something but Thilia didn't care. 

"I will be as thorough and quick as I can." she said before getting to work on healing Thilia.