6. The Riders of Rohan

It is dawn. Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli are running. "A red sun rises. Blood has been spilt this night." Legolas says as he senses it. Running more they come to an outcrop of large rocks, and the sound of horses is heard. The three hide, Aragorn having to help Gimli as he was moving too slow. A large group of cavalry appear. Aragorn comes out of hiding as they pass, Legolas and Gimli behind him.

"Riders of Rohan! What news from the Mark?" Aragorn calls, with a signal from Èomer, the riders make a quick turn and head towards the three companions, encircling them. As they stop, they point their spears at them. Èomer says as he rides into the circle, "What business does an elf, a man and a dwarf have in the Riddermark?" none of them answer, "Speak quickly!" Èomer snaps, "Give me your name, horsemaster, and I shall give you mine." Gimli says stupidly. 

Èomer gets off his horse. Aragorn puts a hand on Gimli's shoulder. "I would cut off your head — dwarf — if it stood but a little higher from the ground." Legolas quickly aims an arrow at Èomer. "You would die before your stroke fell!" none of them feel threatened by the display of spears but for the sake of the men, Aragorn pushes down Legolas' arm. "I'm Aragorn, son of Arathorn." he says introducing himself. 

Aragorn then gestures to Gimli, "This is Gimli, son of Glóin, and Legolas, from the Woodland realm." he finishes as he ends with Legolas. "We are friends of Rohan and of Théoden, your king." Aragorn adds. Èomer, sensing no more hostility speaks more calmly, "Théoden no longer recognizes friend from foe." Èomer removes his helmet. "Not even his own kin." he adds. The spears are withdrawn.

"Saruman has poisoned the mind of the king and claimed lordship over this land. My company are those loyal to Rohan. And for that, we are banished." he says as he looks Aragon in the eyes as much as he can, while he speaks, "The White Wizard is cunning. He walks here and there they say, as an old man, hooded and cloaked." Èomer gives Legolas a meaningful look. "And everywhere his spies slip past our nets." he says thinking they may be spies. 

"We are no spies. We track a band of Uruk-hai westward across the plains. They have taken two of our friends captive." Aragorn says and Èomer has to fight the look of guilt that comes to his face. "The Uruks are destroyed. We slaughtered them during the night." he says and Gimli is hopeful, "But there were two hobbits, did you see two hobbits with them?" Èomer is a bit confused, 

Aragorn catches this, "They would be small, only children to your eyes." Èomer 's eyes turn down before he looks back at Aragorn, "We left none alive." he explains then turns to show a billow of smoke coming up in the distance. "We piled the carcasses and burned them." Gimli's heart drops. "Dead?" he gasps out. Èomer nods. "I am sorry." Legolas rests a hand on Gimli. Èomer whistles. "Hasufel! Arod!" he calls as two beautiful horses trot over to them. 

 "May these horses bear you to better fortune than the former masters." he says with a nod, before bidding the small group farewell, "Farewell." Èomer then mounts his horse. "Look for your friends, but do not trust the hope. It has forsaken these lands. We ride north!" Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli look on as the Riders depart.

***

Boromir is the first to point them out, as Thilia is seated by a patch of rocks. "Thilia!" he says then in an instant he has horn to his lips and is calling their friends to them. "Cousin!!" Gimli shouts from behind Legolas, as they get closer. The dwarf is waving his arm and holding onto Legolas with his other free arm. Thilia moves to greet them as they get closer and dismount. When on the ground and in reach,

She is instantly hugging them. Legolas is quick to hug her back as well, while Gimli is squished between the two of them. But he too is hugging her. Boromir and Aragorn embrace and touch foreheads, before joining the other three. Aragorn held his arm out to Thilia for a warrior's handshake but she surprised him by giving him a hug. He patted her back as he relaxed in her arms,

He was tired and realized that since Gandalf's passing, he relied on Thilia a lot. So while she was gone he had to do a lot of the things they would have decided on together, alone.