93

The following day, Cristina saw Mark at the coffee cart before their shift. She frowned and asked him, "Where's Meredith? Didn't she ride with you? "

"Nope. They are running late. They closed yesterday and spent all day on the island poking around their land and then they went out to a special dinner to celebrate."

Cristina got her coffee and said with distain, "Like a date?"

They headed for the elevator and Mark mocked, "Yeah. They do dates. Jealous much Yang?"

She admitted, "Hell yes. She is getting fun, romance, food and sex!" [i]She tried to keep it light. She was a little afraid she was losing Meredith to Derek. Meredith was her first real friend as an adult and she had a problem sharing even though she knew deep down that Derek was a great guy and the guy for Meredith.[/i]

They got on the elevator and Mark said suggestively, "I can provide you with the sex. On call room?"

Cristina laughed and said, "I don't think so."

Mark chuckled and said, "I figured you'd turn me down. GI Joe is all you can swing now. You wouldn't be able to handle me too."

Cristina raised an eyebrow at him and said sarcastically, "I don't know why Mer keeps you around. Shepherd at least cooks. What do you bring to the house except fifth? Which would you prefer Meredith? Lasagna or an STD?" She jokingly mocked him.

Mark laughed heartily as they got off at the surgical floor. "You can't hurt my feelings Yang. I am on to you."

She frowned as they went into the locker room.[i] Suddenly their joking had turned serious.[/i]

Mark said softy, "It takes you a while, but you my dear, mate for life."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Derek finds Meredith near the end of the day in post-op monitoring a patient.

He says quietly, "I miss you. I haven't seen you all day."

Meredith giggles and says, "I know. I miss you too. Are you going to be able to leave on time?"

"Unfortunately not. I came to tell you that I just got pulled into a minor surgery. I'll probably be home in two hours or so. Mark will take you home."

Meredith said disappointed, "Okay."

Derek said quietly, "I love you Mer."

She whispered back, "I love you too."

Derek left and Meredith watched as her patient blinked and gave her a little smile.

"Welcome back Mr. Duff. Your surgery went very well. We are just monitoring you as your meds wear off."

He said softy, "He's the one."

Confused Meredith asked, "The one what?"

"The one you are going to marry."

Meredith smiled at Mr. Duff.[i] He had been saying things like that to her all day. She had taken a burn patient up to the psych ward and overheard two interns discussing the insane guy. He was having visions and his family had thought he was crazy and they basically abandoned him. Meredith had checked out the MRI and had seen the AVM on his left temporal lobe. The psych attending had freaked her out a little at first. She looked a little like her mother. But she had been great and they worked well together.[/i]

"You were having seizures, not visions. We caught it just in time. The tangle of blood vessels could have burst. You are going to be fine. Just try and rest okay?"
Mr. Duff nodded and closed his eyes and Meredith went to brief her relief on him.

She found an empty computer cubicle and finished her charting. She sensed a presence in the doorway and looked up.

"Dr. Grey. Good. I found you."

"Did you need me for something Dr. Wyatt?"

"I just wanted to say thanks. That was two great catches today. You figured out Mr. Duff was surgical, not psych. Normally I wouldn't be happy about an intern poaching on my service, but you saved his life today. The surgical attending told me that he was ready to blow any minute. And I am very impressed that you got Gretchen to voluntarily admit herself."

Meredith said shyly, "Thanks. How is she doing?" [i]Meredith had felt a special affinity for both of her patients today.[/i]

"Well, I am recommending that she stay for a week in- patient and then continue out- patient. Extraordinary low self esteem, based on her family's high expectations, has caused her to escalate the physical damage she is doing to herself. All this because of a legal bar exam! She has third degree burns!"

Meredith said, "I know. I can't imagine how long she held that pan to get those burns."

Dr. Wyatt asked curiously, "Have you declared a specialty yet?"

"No. Not yet."

"Anyway, I told Dr. Bailey what a great job you did today. You have the perfect combination of compassion, empathy and strength to work in psychiatry.

Meredith snorted and laughed and couldn't stop for a moment.[i] She watched Dr. Wyatt scrutinize her.[/i]

"I'm sorry.... It's just....you have not idea.....I ugh........Now you think [i]I'm [/i]crazy."

Dr. Wyatt laughed and smiled at her. She said, "Dr. Grey. We try not to use the crazy word."

"Sorry."

"It was great working with you and thanks again. You are welcome on my service anytime. And feel free to come by and chat about a psychiatric rotation or anything else you would like."

[i] Dr. Wyatt was fascinated by Dr. Grey. She had heard all the rumors. She tried not to listen to gossip but it was near impossible. She was impossibly tiny and yet Dr. Grey had been knocked off her feet more than once and she picked herself up and moved on. She was young, smart, and on the fast track, but Dr. Wyatt sensed a troubled past.[/i]

"Okay. Thanks."

Dr. Wyatt left and Meredith twirled her hair around her finger. She logged off the computer and headed out. [i]Maybe Cris was wrong. Maybe psych wasn't crap![/i]