Fairytale (4)

My new home is in the village of
Cobbletree. It's situated at the northern border of the Nótos Kingdom, which is my home country, and its the border shared with the Vóreios Kingdom whilst the western border is shared with the Dytiká Kingdom and to the eastern border is the Anatolí Empire whilst the southern border was exposed to the sea with no country bordering it. In Cobbletree village there are only a few families, about 14 in total, although some of the families are split into multiple homes as children grow up and marry away from the main house and they're parents or when brothers fight and move to separate residences.

With our arrival to the village there is now 15 families and no-one questioned our relationship after I introduced myself as dad's child, I didn't specifically say daughter or son, but I dress like a young boy so most of the village assumes I'm a boy. A few more observant adults and elders have noticed I'm a girl but after confirming with me and hearing how I'm a 'tomboy' and like helping dad with chores so I prefer the more practical trousers and shirt, they didn't say anything or tell anyone else as they simply accepted that I don't mind being mistaken for a boy and that I like dressing the way I do. Some of the few who noticed, mostly older women, commented on how it may be a shame if the boys don't notice me being a girl as they may miss the best chance to try and impress me so that I may be the bride. I kindly didn't mention how marriage wasn't a priority for me nor was it really something I was thinking about...

Regardless, everyone in this little village has been kind to us and no one has asked about my mother as I assume they believe she's dead or ran away as that is an upsettingly common in this world, I have come to know. However, because of that we were able to avoid uncomfortable questions like why my dad and me look so different or why we don't always know how to call each other. I heard gossip yesterday about us though, apparently they think I'm an illegitimate child my father only recently found out about and was them dumped on him. I almost laughed out when I heared but I stopped myself as I didn't want to be caught eavesdropping, especially when it's about me.

I woke up today in a good mood, the forest that surrounds the village is a special forest, so we're told not to go too close, but recently I've been edging closer and closer to the forest as it keeps drawing me in. Today I decided to just go into the forest and try figure out what was calling to me so much inside the green maze that encompasses my new home. It was easy getting to the forest edge as my house is at the outside layer of the village due to the fact its new and was made for us when we arrived with the help of the villagers. I crept through the foliage with ease and after a few minutes I stumbled upon a dreamlike scene simular to fairytale illustrations. It was a clearing situated deep into the forest with beautiful flowers blooming and a small river that ran across the edge on the fathest side from where I entered, there were small waterfalls in the clear, shallow water and fish of many species, shapes, sizes and colours were dashing down the stream. Small and cute animals lazed around peaceful regardless of species whilst a few baby animals played under they're parents gaze rolling in the tall grass patches and through the dandelions. A few fallen trees which had partially weathered away were arranged loosely around the outer edge to my right and some of the bigger but still cute animals seemed to prefer laying in the shade over there. I don't recognise all the animals or plants but a few I believe I saw included dear and cubs of big cats of some kind, also something I believe to be a sloth and bunnies aswell as a wolf or two, probably from packs if not the same one. The fairytale environment drew me in rapidly but I didn't want to disturb it. I noticed a small bell like chittering from all around and when I carefully looked to my left and right I saw charming tiny people with shimmering wings and natural clothes crafted from leaves, twigs, flowers and other simular things, these must be fairies! They revealed themselves in front of me and I came to a realisation, they must be responsible for the picture before my very eyes.

The fairies seemed friendly enough, but I remember not to tell them my name so they couldn't trap me, just in case. I also watched my step, ensuring I didn't accidentally enter a fairy ring. The fairies looked different from your classic tinkerbell but I still knew innately that they were fairies, the tricksters of the forest and mischievous pranksters. At a closer look they had bronze skin and fluorescent colored eyes. Their hair was in the shades of leaves throughout the seasons. They pulled me towards the clearing until I had found myself under the morning sun. The gentle caress of warm light came me and the comfortable atmosphere of the peaceful scenery began to influence me and make me sleepy. A soft fur ball rubbed against my leg and looked up at me with big round eyes, it's gaze was innocent and pure. It's little ears twitched as a cool breeze blew past, and they turned towards the side where the sound of a splash sounded out. Another cub of the same species as the one cuddling my legs had tripped into the stream, and its mother was carrying it out by the scruff of its neck.

----------×----------

Hope you enjoyed!