nightmares

Octavia was abruptly woken by the voices of the damned.

In her newly sober mind she could hear all the fun things the voices of the dead had to say, which were unfortunately, mostly negative.

Before she even opened her eyes she could hear Ben and Klaus arguing. Klaus apparently talks in his sleep and Ben was not happy about that.

"Octavia Hargreeves, you wouldn't happen to have anything on you, would you?"

"As I said yesterday Klaus, no, I don't have any drugs."Octavia squished her face into a cushion.

She has decided since her Fathers funeral, she would make an active effort to actually stay sober from drugs.

S had already begun to make bets with himself as to how long it would last.

"Via I swear to god if you are lying to me-" Klaus interrupted.

Octavia raised her face from the cushion, "What are you going to do, choke me?" She muttered.

Ben let out a choking laugh, although for Octavia all she could hear was tense silence, the sort you could cut through with a knife.

"Klaus i-"

"No, no it was funny, It was funny." Klaus began to walk away, but was stopped by Pogo entering the room.

"Master Klaus."

"Christ on a cracker! Pogo?"

"I have a query for you, Master Klaus."

Octavia sat up on the velvet sofa.

"Oh?"

"Items from you Fathers office have gone missing, particularly an ornate box with silver inlay. Any idea where it went?"

Octavia had a flashback from last night where Klaus did in fact, take the ornate box, sold it for drugs, and got ridiculously high, all while she drank herself into an early grave.

"No, no, no. No idea" Klaus lied through his teeth. "Sorry"

"Liar." Octavia and Ben said at the same time.

"Drop-dead" Klaus directed at Ben.

Octavia fake-gasped and muttered out a "How rude".

∆∆∆

"Fucking hell Klaus, did you steal your clothes from Dad's wardrobe?" Octavia was nearly wetting herself at the sight of her brother in a ruffled top and black trousers.

She was then violently pushed towards a wardrobe by Five.

She, of course, refused to get inside the wardrobe, (although Klaus seemed quite happy about staying inside it), pushed Five away and plopped herself hanging upside-down on an uncomfortably hard bed in the tiny attic room they were all cramped in.

Octavia pulled out a round glass bottle stopper from inside her pocket and began throwing it up and down, expertly catching it every time as Five sighed defeatedly.

She looked up as she heard a sigh of relief come from the doorway. "Oh thank god. I was worried sick about you." Vanya said, seemingly having not noticed Octavia hanging off the side of the bed.

"Sorry I left without saying goodbye." Five replied, looking away from the window.

"Five was at your place? God I haven't been there in like... forever or something." Octavia butted in, pausing her game of catch, the bottle stopper being suspended in the air with black smoke surrounding it.

Vanya turned her head to look at the girl, "You went to my apartment a few months ago."

"I did?" Octavia pointed to herself and Vanya nodded. "Oh I remember now! I set your smoke alarm off!"She burst into laughter.

What Octavia didn't bring up, at least not with Five in the room, was that the time she 'set the smoke alarm off' was also the time she was surprised by an 'intervention' as her siblings called it, and then forced to rehab.

"Yeah that was it." Vanya chuckled lightly and turned back towards Five. "But I should really be the one apologising."

"What did you say to her two square- wait no that's not right, shit I'm so bad at maths"

Vanya and Five ignored her.

"I was dismissive and I- I guess I didn't know how to process what you were saying. And I still can't to be honest." Vanya's voice shook.

"Well, maybe you were right to be dismissive." Five scoffed and turned away from the two women. "Maybe it wasn't real after all. It felt real. Well...like you said the old man did say time travel could contaminate the mind." He turned back towards them.

"Maybe you should talk to someone. I used to see someone. A therapist. I could give you her information." Vanya muttered the last few lines of that sentence, as if afraid someone would hear and judge her, although almost everyone in the family had gone to therapy at some point in their life.

"Look, thanks but... I think I'm just going to get some rest.it's been a long time since I've slept well.."

Vanya sighed and agreed, but Octavia knew that would not be the last Five heard about therapy.

Just as Vanya walked out, Klaus burst out of the closet, which scared Octavia, making her fall headfirst onto the floor.

"That's so touching, all that stuff about Dad and time, Wow!"

Octavia sat up, rubbing her head, and grabbed the bottle stopper from thin air, putting it back into her pocket for further use.

"I'm moist." Klaus continued.

"Back to what I was saying, WHAT ARE YOU WEARING?" Octavia started up her chorus of teasing as Five sighed and pushed them both out of the room.

"We'll just buy something on the way," He said making a point to ignore them both.

"Okay but just so we're clear on the finer details, we've just got to go into this creepy eye place, and pretend to be your dear old Dad and poor old mother, correct?"

"Correct" Five affirmed, and continued walking.

"But what's our cover story?" Klaus asked, almost jogging trying to keep up with Five's fast-paced walking.

"What?"

"Yeah, were we like super young when we had you, like sixteen, seventeen? Like young and..."

Octavia put her hand on her forehead and mimed fainting, "Terribly misguided." She added.

"Your mother, oh that slut!" Octavia made a disgruntled noise and slapped Klaus' arm.

"We met at.." Klaus snapped his fingers, "The disco!"

"What is this, the eighties?" Octavia cackled back at Klaus. "No, we met at a... rave! Yeah a rave!"

"Ok, ok, and oh my god, the sex was amazing..and-" Klaus was cut off by Five.

"What a disturbing glimpse into those things that you call brains."

"Don't make us put you in time out, young man." Octavia muttered.