Chapter 2 ︱ A lot more troublesome

The door shut behind Jezebel as she pressed her back against it—she hoped her parents wouldn't notice the time so it could give her the chance to slip into her room without too much notice.

Quietly on her toes, she peeked her head into the kitchen. With no one there, she stepped forward to get a quick glass of water. Jezebel had grabbed her glass cup and pressed it against the wall of the water dispenser at the refrigerator to fill the inside.

"Coming home just now?"

The voice of her mother startled her as she stopped and whirled her head to see her mother and father standing at a safe distance. Their gaze in their dark eyes peered at her sternly; they never liked when Jezebel went out at night even though she followed their orders and would be home at 10 p.m. She even checked the clock time in her car before coming inside the house.

It was only 9:49 p.m.

"Yeah?" Jezebel said with her voice unsure. 

She'd try her utmost best to stay on their good side. Having been born Korean with both Korean parents, they make all the decisions in the house and decide just about everything. Their way is like the law, and she didn't want to go against them.

"Where have you been?" her mother asked.

"To the movies... I went with someone," she answered.

"And who?"

"I went on a date with a guy, but it's fine. We didn't work out though."

They never need to know what she'd do in her free time and why she spends all her frivolous time with boys and disguise them as dating like most teenage girls do all the time.

"You know I don't like that. You're wasting your time. You have such a big future ahead and boys shouldn't be a factor right now," her father claimed. It was usually the same with hearing his speech about boys and that he didn't like them. If only she could go on to say "me too."

Jezebel nodded pretendingly. "I know, abeoji. But boys." She put on her dearest act with a daydream look in her eyes.  

Her mother twisted her expression into a disapproving one. "You're young and pretty already. You don't know what's good for you because you're inexperienced; you should be focusing on school instead of boys. You can't afford to fall behind."

It was never fair to have to hear this again. Jezebel was on top of her classes with straight A's and her report card was shown to be spectacular. Even teachers tell her to keep up the good work. She'd come home straight away after school and put in the hours of studying. She couldn't afford to be lazy even though she would like to.

Though it was tempting to tell them they had nothing to worry about, reminding them was a pain in the butt. She held her tongue and stayed quiet. Did she already have to feel worthless and get reprimanded? Her eyes looked down to the kitchen tiles.

"Don't forget that you're sleeping soon," her mother mentioned.

They'd never let her forget her bedtime at 11 p.m.

"Of course, I'll get ready before sleep." Jezebel sauntered out of the kitchen with the glass of water in hand and went to her room. She gulped down some sips of water before placing it down on the dresser table. 

She had to wash off her makeup by the bathroom sink, the residue of it going down the drain. Her face was all clear, and she looked like a baby face. She ran down her face with cool water more times until it was enough.

Jezebel checked her side profile in the mirror and tapped on her cheek lightly.

Looks good.

Done with brushing her teeth early, she brought herself under the covers in her bed and faced her attention to the ceiling. Thoughts resurfaced when she remembered how his face looked when she told him how she wanted nothing to do with him. She was a baddie, wasn't she?