Chapter 8 ︱ 5 am Morning Run

Bring your running shoes

don't forget to wear comfortable clothes. I'm thinking sweats

It was 5:02 am when Jezebel woke up and heard an early text from her phone. Seriously, 5:02 am? She held her head while slowly leaning the upper half of her body up to confirm if what she's seeing was true. Five am was too early in the morning to do anything; six am was enough torture to get up and get ready to go to school. 

He texted her the location to meet up, and she internally groaned. Forget it. I ain't losing my sleep in the morning. 

She thudded back into the bed and closed her eyes. She needed an hour. A minute was peaceful until another vibrating text rang out. He couldn't give her five minutes of sleep. She grasped for her phone again.

If you're not here in 20 min I might reconsider our transaction ;) 

Jezebel bolted right up, looking at her phone tiredly. Twenty minutes? That evil rascal. 

She quickly pulled off her blanket covers. By the time she washed her face, freshened up her look, and picked out some clothes, she had to carefully sneak out of the house to not disturb her sleeping parents. They would hate to know that she's leaving somewhere so early and for goodness knows where and why at 5 am if it wasn't for school.

The drive was misty to her amiss brain, for her beauty sleep was an essential part of her vital looks. One thing she wouldn't do was rush her skincare routine. Jezebel never rushed perfection unless it was a dire emergency, and she wouldn't give it up for him.

As her car parked on the street, Jezebel poked her head around for a spot of familiarity with that reckless being. Grand Rapids city streets were a sight to look at appearing in early time. Old historical office buildings and multi-storied buildings came forth like a visual novel: hard structured, neutral colors, old-fashioned traffic lights at every intersection, and a blend of new and old bricks if one walked down to a different street. Automobiles were lined up on the side of the streets and people took out their dogs for morning walks. Even with a sky that was a ceiling of weathered grey, things were not dull even when people should be sleeping.

Though Jezebel could care less about the streets and more so about where that boy was. He made her work up an effort just to be here. She crossed the street while she scanned around with a hand against her forehead. She was cold and couldn't think straight.

There was a body tall-framed leaning against a brick wall. A head cocked slightly in her direction then she realized it was Mackinley. He leaned nonchalantly as he looked at her particularly. "Well, well... someone decided to show up." He checked out the time on his phone. "You're thirteen minutes late." 

Don't you dare start with me now. She couldn't just get on her bad side now; it wouldn't look believable if she was more annoyed, and it would only prove him right. She needed to keep a face, but it didn't mean he couldn't hear something from her.

"A girl would prefer her beauty sleep. Five am is a bit far-fetched, no?" Jezebel said.

Mackinley smiled amusedly. "Not when you have kickstart energy. Then you have to do something about it."

He didn't look tired at all. He looked ready like he could conquer the world. Head to toe Mackinley was clothed in a black Adidas tracksuit and sleek style running shoes in glacier grey/dark blue. 

He lowered his gaze. "Nice clothes." He nodded towards her oversized baby blue hoodie and black high-waisted leggings.

Jezebel smiled lightly. "Thank you, now tell me what are we doing?"