Chapter 7 ︱ Catching odd feelings

This time Jezebel sat at the bleachers, staring across the football field instead of waiting by the gym. Her legs might get tired of standing if he was a no-show again. She had a little bit in her stomach, a sandwich and apple juice since she wasn't risking her hunger.

She wrapped her arms around herself, feeling the puff sleeve of her knit black sweater top. Her lips pouted out in dissatisfaction. She wasn't giving up; she'll get her way, even if it was with a reckless boy whom she didn't know that much about.

She had a plan all figured out in her head. Gathering some info around others with their gossip came in handy in case she needed to throw it out there for him.

Then, casually a sound of steps on the bleacher made her look as Mackinley threw a hand up with a wave and a friendly smirk that crossed his face. "Jezebel," Mackinley said, beginning to walk up the aluminum metal.

Jezebel's eyes looked at him with a grimace when he got closer. "I had to look around a little since I didn't know where you were."

"Yeah, I wasn't going to stand around again the second time."

"I'm here now. Joss told me that you need me. I'm shocked, really." He chuckled and stopped in front of her.

"Because you weren't here yesterday. Where were you?" Jezebel questioned.

"I don't like to tell my business if there's no compensation." He tipped his head to the side, looking at her expectantly.

She sent him an impatient would you tell me look. He shook his head ridiculously. "I'll tell you only because it wasn't that serious. I just felt like going out to eat somewhere else."

"That's it? You want to go out to eat?"

"I like to bring my own lunch, but eating out somewhere is just better sometimes. I don't like to be confined."

Jezebel blinked confusedly at him. "Did you take your own car?"

"Nah, that'd be obvious. I grabbed a ride with a senior," Mackinley said.

"You went to a senior?" she wondered. It had to be the only other choice as seniors had the free will to leave for campus if they had a pass. 

He smiled knowingly.

He really finds a way to twist the rules to his benefit.

This was the time now. He was still the only boy feasible to her working plan. Jezebel beamed a smile at him. "I'd like to talk to you about something. Please, don't just stand there."

Mackinley sat down in the bleachers. With it one row below Jezebel's his eyes were looking up at hers with his brown eyes and possibly a trace of reddish in them. He faced her with his legs apart widely and his hands in a lower steepled position.

Remarkably she liked this. With her head tilting down at him, she pictured this scenario where she was a queen in power with her sitting on the throne, but except with him sitting, he was kneeling down on one knee and giving her respect. All boys looked like they were peasants in this way. She thought she could do whatever she wanted with them if she continued to hold onto her great eminence.

Now, to begin with, her considerate speech. "You intrigued me, Mackinley," Jezebel said with her subtle voice. "I've been feeling different things recently."

The perplexed look was evident on his face. "Did you get hit in the head?"

She visibly forced her smile a tad bigger but not too much. "Of course not. This is me speaking out. As much as uncanny as it is to admit this, I want to speak out my feelings. You know already how I can't find compatibility with many guys I go out with, I always leave them because they weren't good enough, but you... you seemed very challenging."