Chapter 10 ︱ The kind of character

The cappuccino was warm in Jezebel's hands as she had just taken a sip. She allowed the comfort of not just the drink entering her system, but as well as the friendly atmosphere of the cafe for her eyes to enjoy. A smile appeared on her lips; if there's one thing better than a drink, it's at least looking dressed up pretty, like she was prim and classy.

Not to mention, she had plenty of beauty sleep, and her skin looked new and refreshed.

Now she didn't come here just to grab a cup and sit at a table to be that cute girl who would be marked as an aesthetic as those kinds of photos that were everywhere on Pinterest. Although, if someone were to secretly take a good photo opportunity of her without her noticing and edit it with a good filter, and she looked good in it, she couldn't complain about that.

It was one o'clock in the afternoon, 1:17 pm on a Saturday, and Jezebel texted Mackinley earlier to meet her at a cafe. He played her monstrously when she was the one late for their meetup, and now that the role was reversed, she fought back any urgency to lay into him about his tardiness.

At least this time, she could take care of her skincare routine and put them on relaxed. Picking out her clothes and putting on her makeup was a slight therapy; she had to keep up with her angel-like appearance. The only times she didn't was at home or when she had no one to meet up with, which she usually does.

Jezebel went normally for a sleek and flattering look without the trying too hard aspect. She wore her black mock neck shirt in long sleeves but paired it with a sage green skirt and a thin brown belt through the loop so that her image evened out as gracefully as she maintained them to be.

The topics of today: where his usual spotting during lunchtime; tell him you will invite him to your table on Monday with the girls and let his friend come along to show you're being real.

Keep the conversation going light, but with that unpredictable rascal, I can't tell where it'll go, and I can't make promises.

Mackinley showed up soon enough. Sitting down in a chair across from hers, he leaned back lazily as he looked at her. "Hey, Jezebel."

Oh, now you decided to come, she chided mentally. Her inner voice wished to speak out like that, but instead, Jezebel pulled up a smile pointing toward him, and placed down her cup on the table. 

"Mackinley, so glad you're here."

He let his head turn, and his eyes examined the place as he soaked up the bits of details and scenery. "You like coffee and tea?"

"Coffees are just the best."

"I would have to disagree there. Tea reduces free radicals and is rich in antioxidants."

"Coffee is one of the richest sources of antioxidants and reduces the risk of liver disease or cancer," she supplied. 

"And having caffeine is highly addictive over time, creating pleasure in the brain the same way how people can easily get into drugs, nicotine, and alcohol substances. Tea has more added benefits with herbal remedies that can be easily absorbed into the body, and certain teas can contain calming properties like a healing hand." He showcased visibly with both hands, almost like a small gesture of the jazz hands.

The way Mackinley started it was just like he was prompting her to see how she would take it.

"You must really love your tea. How good for you." She had a blank face but a polite smile, the expression of what a polite cat would look like.

Mackinley blinked, then looked to her inquistively. "So..., you said you want to chat?"

She sipped quickly into her cappuccino and nodded. "Of course." Her hands clapped together, and Jezebel moved to tuck them under her chin. "I want to be able to know a little bit more about you personally. So for lunch during school, where do you normally sit and hang out?"