HanaHaki Disease

☾︎♫︎𝙰𝚗𝚐𝚜𝚝;𝚜𝚊𝚍 𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐;𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚎𝚛'𝚜 𝚍𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚑;𝚗𝚘 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚝;𝙺𝚊𝚛𝚕𝚗𝚊𝚙♫︎☽︎

Quackity was fine,absolutely fine.

What he had caught was only a cold,nothing more,nothing less. Or at least it had to be if it weren't for the fucking flower he'd just spat,together with of blood,his blood.

At first he didn't even want to believe it,he thought he was hallucinating from fever,but he had no rise in body temperature,so it couldn't be a hallucination or a fever dream.But it was still physically impossible to spit a flower,a plant,from his mouth.

"What the fuck,what the fuck,what the actually fuck!? What the hell? No,no,no,this is impossibile! This isn't real! Oh-Ah! Fuck! What's going on?!"
To say he was in total panic is an understatement.

The door to his room,and Wilbur ran in.

"I heard you scream as I walked down the hall.Did something happen?"
The eyes of the man they settled on the blood present on the left hand of his flatmate and on the flower,with other blood,on the parquet of his room.

"Oh shit-"
"Yeah? Wonna tell me about it?"
"Yeah....Imma just...yeah,wait a second"
The brown-haired boy disappears from the door as he had entered and then returns a couple of minutes later with a cleaning kit for the floor.

"So...how did it happen? I don't think you're stupid enough to eat a flower. I would expect it from the gremling child,but not from you"
It wasn't hard to imagine a scenario where the blond boy would try to swallow a flower after all.

"I don't know. One moment I was fine,and the second one there was blood on the floor and a fucking flower came out of my insides. Not fun at all. I felt suffocated when I spat it out"
He explained pointing to the purple tulip he was holding. Purple huh? Like his color....

"Tried to check what kind of disease can it be? I don't think there are many that make you spit flowers"
Wilbur proposed and Quackity nodded going to his computer and looking for any clues that might be useful to him.

Hanahaki Disease is a fictional disease in which the victim coughs up flower petals when they suffer from one-sided love. The term hanahaki comes from the Japanese words hana (花),which means "flower",and hakimasu (吐きます),which means "to throw up".The symptoms of the disease are summarized to:strong pain,having flowers blooming in the heart and lungs,and then throwing them up. It ends when the beloved returns their feelings (romantic love only;strong friendship is not enough),or when the victim dies.
It can be cured through surgical removal,but when the infection is removed,the victim's romantic feelings for their love also disappear.

"Well,fuck"
"Pretty much"
The heavy silence in the room could even be cut with a knife.

"So? Who do you love?"
Wilbur was the first to smash it into a thousand pieces,asking the fateful question.

Before Quackity could even open his mouth to protest,Wilbur dismissed it with a quick wave of his hand.
"And don't bullshit me,whit the 'I'm not in love with anyone' series because I don't buy it"

Alright,the plan A that he had thought of and to be thrown away.
But there is still hope for Plan B...or not. Wilbur's gaze,however, didn't seem to him the best one to attenuate the plan B...
Alright,no plan B.

Defeated in the face of the truth,Quackity sighed as he looked at Wilbur who still waited for his answer.

"Do you promise not to tell anyone? Wil,I'm serious,nobody will have to know..."
He said in a serious tone,making his friend nod and he agreed to his request.

".....It's Karl..."
"Oh..."

That's right,Karl Jacobs,the brown-haired guy with the biggest heart he has ever seen. His kindness was the first thing that struck him about him.
He never lost patience,and offered help to anyone who needed it,was kind to everyone and helped anyone who could. He was a cheerful and joyful boy,who always wore sweatshirts of a thousand pastel colors.
He was also part of their school's student council and was one of the smartest kids in the institute. He had high grades and a lovely personality.

But the problem was that Karl already had a boyfriend. His name was Sapnap,and he was one of Dream's best friends,the popular kid from their school. He was very good at sports,had average grades,and he was very friendly. He made friends very quickly and made sure that no one in their group felt left out,but at the same time he was also competitive.

So,despite falling in love with Karl,he just couldn't compete,and above all he didn't want to if he was already happy. He would have contented himself with looking at him from distant and being one of his closest friends,nothing more,nothing less. But he would have supported him in any situation.

To tell the truth,not as some of his close friends foresaw,he didn't actually hate Sapnap when he officially met him for the first time. Heck,it wasn't in a cliched movie where the protagonist cursed the love interest partner to death until they break up so he could have a chance.
In fact,he had accepted her presence and had lately become one of her closest friends.

"So what? Will you stay in these conditions? Do you really want to choose your death instead of trying to declare yourself?"
Wilbur asked him, and Quackity raised an eyebrow.

"Dude,I kown that you are supportive of me,but you can't tell me something like that. Karl is happy with him,and Sapnap is a good person...if Karl is happy so am I"
Quackity expressed his opinion.

Before Wilbur could continue,Quackity resumed his speech.

"Furthermore,it says that I can remove the disease also thanks to surgery...so it is not said that I will die from fucking flowers..."

But he was in high school,and taking off his part-time job wasn't earning much,and his parents weren't able to pay him for an operation as costly as pulling roots out of his stomach.

And a part of him,if he could get the surgery done in time,would be dead. His feelings for Karl would be nice to go,and this was not something that,however right,he wanted. Because it would be saying goodbye forever to a part of himself.

The realization is later than the notice. He is dying. He is dying from a one-way feeling,he is dying due to flowers...and the person who was killing him was the one he wanted to express eternal love to.

Oh God,this wasn't happening. Fuck,he's only seventeen. He has a life to to live to its fullest,and flowers wouldn't stop him.

"...Yeah,right....but...Do you have enough money? Will you have enough money before time runs out? Here it says that based on the proximity of the person concerned the flow of time varies...One of the longest cases in history was one month...the fastest ones are one week...."
Wilbur pointed to him on the screen as he checked more information.

He is dying and within a week he could turn into a mound of tulips and purple roses. And if it's not a week,in a month it would have happened.

"I'll try to invent something,don't worry....."
There was a lot to worry about actually. But they chose not to voice their concerns.

He couldn't get all that money in even a month if he wanted to...it was impossible,and it was just as impossible for Karl to accept his feelings...he was hopeless,literally. It would become a flowerbed that would later become fertilizer. What an horrible way to go....

For the next few weeks neither of them spoke on the subject,as neither of them wanted to realize what was happening.

If the raven-haired boy's body was getting paler and weak,with purple dark circles under his eyes,or if there were flower petals scattered around the apartment that they shared,no one said anything.

And if,just 3 weeks after the discovery of his illness,Quackity's body took its last breath as the flowers and roots took over his lungs,only Wilbur he knew this,having remained at his bedside throughout the process,watching his best friend leave this world in the purest of despair.