Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Fia's POV

I wasn't used to being alone at night. It felt uncomfortable. The house hummed and creaked. The castle didn't make noises like this. Everything felt so close and compact. I stared at the clock on my nightstand, watching the digital numbers change. It was five in the morning. But the sky was still dark. I had a meeting with my advisor today to declare my major along with my classes.

I decided it was time to get up, no point in laying down with my antsy heart. I used my phone to map my area, seeing I was near a Sturab trail. I needed to run, to sweat off my emotion. Uncle Amari always ensured moving would make me feel better. I changed into leggings and a pullover, it was chilly in the mornings, seeing as fall was just around the corner.

The house was furnished very plainly, and things were a bit outdated, but it was functional and homey. I glanced at the walls, wandering what kind of personality I could add to the place.

I slipped my phone into my leggings along with my house key. The sky was beginning to lighten as I walked down the road, headed for the trailhead. Dad picked a quiet part of town, homes were far enough back on the road that nobody was in anyones business. I popped my headphones in as I made it to the trailhead, jogging to mindless songs that got my heart racing. The trail was empty and wide, I focused on my breathing while I ran. Admiring the beautiful flowers and the numerous mushrooms at the base of the trees. Plants were different here. Everything felt damp and dewy, like a rainforest. I chuckled as I quickly realized I was in rainforest country.

There was a sudden hand at my shoulder. I jumped, quickly grabbing it and twisting their arm until a snap was felt under my grip. The music still blared in my ears as I saw who it was. I quickly let him go.

"Nolan." I breathed heavily, my fight or flight reflexes finally simmering.

"Fia." He winced as he corrected the bone in his arm so he'd heal faster. I didn't bother apologizing, he should know better than to touch a woman alone in the woods. I took my headphones out and eyed him questioningly, glancing around the shadowed woods.

"Are you following me?" I asked suspiciously. He shook out his arm before he lifted his gaze. I quickly took a step back, suddenly feeling too close. The heat of his body was seeping onto my skin.

"No, I'm not. I jog here. It's detached from the border so no guards bother me here." He explained. I glanced around. The only trail close to my house is where Alpha Vidar takes his runs. The fates weren't at all on my side.

"I'm glad I ran into you though." He straightened up, ensuring he was looking down on me. An intimidation tactic I'm sure.

"I don't mean this as disrespect to you or your family. But I think it's best you leave pack land, I think it's reasonable to assume that we as mates aren't compatible." He paused, waiting for my reaction. Bracing himself for my anger.

"Trust me Nolan. I've taken leaving into consideration. I wasn't aware this was your land until your brother showed at my house last night."

"Deacon went to your house?" He interrupted. His jaw flexed briefly. I studied his tense form and realized the emotion behind it. I nodded. I intended on teasing Deacon right back after what he made me feel last night. But true torture would be having to deal with his stick in the ass Alpha.

"He did. He was... really sweet. Gentle and caring." I smiled innocently. Nolan's eyes raked my frame swiftly, he was jumping to conclusions. Ones I planted in his big Lycan brain. He looked much like his brother, more serious, yet more soft. He smiled less.

"I'll look into leaving. But I'm already accepted to Willamette, and that's right in the middle of your land correct?" I asked him. His brows furrowed.